Employment promotion measures
Unemployed job seekers have several alternatives available to them to improve their chances of finding work. Participation in an employment promotion measure is agreed with the employment and economic development office.
Employment promotion measures consist of:
- self-motivated study
- self-motivated study for immigrants
- labour market training
- job search training and career counselling
- job tryout and training tryout
- rehabilitative work activity.
Labour market training and self-motivated study
Labour market training is funded by the labour administration and is available free of charge to the students. It is intended primarily for unemployed job seekers and persons aged 20 or older who are at risk of unemployment. While unemployed, you can also engage in self-motivated study (for example, complete a degree). Financial assistance with self-motivated study is available if
- you are registered with an employment and economic development office as an unemployed job seeker
- you are at least 25 years old as you begin your course of study
- your need for education has been recognized by the employment and economic development office
- your course of study is included in your individual re-employment plan
- you study on a full-time basis.
The determination as to whether your course of study meets the requirements for self-motivated study is made by the employment and economic development office. The office will also monitor your progress. Assistance with self-motivated study is available for the duration of the course of study, but not for more than 24 months for each course of study. The employment and economic development office keeps track of the months of assistance used up.
Financial assistance during participation in an employment promotion measure
During participation in an employment promotion measure, you are paid the unemployment benefit to which you are entitled as an unemployed job seeker (labour market subsidy, basic unemployment allowance or earnings-related unemployment allowance). You may also be entitled to commuting and relocation allowance, a supplementary allowance or compensation for your expenses.
Basic or earnings-related unemployment allowance paid during participation in an employment promotion measure counts against the 400-day maximum limit for receiving unemployment allowance.
Unemployment benefits are paid during participation in an employment promotion measure even if the job seeker would not otherwise qualify for the benefit in question, provided that the non-entitlement is due to:
- specified period of non-eligibility
- mandated period of employment to requalify for benefit
- qualifying period
- restriction associated with vocational training
- waiting period
- means testing.
While participating in an employment promotion measure, no means testing rules are applied to the labour market subsidy. While an employment promotion measure is ongoing, unemployment benefits are payable also for the time off.
During participation in other services organized during a period of unemployment, job seekers are not eligible for un-employment benefi ts during days of absence, unless the absence is due to:
- incapacity for work
- illness of a child under the age of 10 years (up to 4 days)
- job interview or equivalent reason related to search for employment
- carrying out of a public position of trust.
Last modified 04/01/2017