How to claim the maternity grant
Claiming online is quick and easy
You can easily file the claim and supporting documentation via the online customer service system. Documents photographed with a phone are accepted if the photographs are clear.Send a claim
- Claim maternity grant online. To log in to Kela's online customer service, use your online banking user ID and password or a mobile certificate.
- Scan or take a photo of supporting documents and send them over the Internet. Enclose with the claim:
- A certificate showing that the pregnancy has lasted 154 days and that you have undergone a medical examination before the end of the 4th month of pregnancy. This pregnancy certificate can be obtained from your doctor or from the maternity and child welfare clinic.
- Adoptive parents must enclose a certificate (form SV 94) stating that the child has been designated for placement in the adoptive family.
The certificate of pregnancy is not needed if you have already submitted it with a claim for maternity allowance.
- You can claim maternity allowance and child benefit at the same time.
- The maternity package will be sent to you via Matkahuolto within about two weeks of the award decision. If you gave your phone number when claiming the maternity grant and your consent that the phone number may be passed on to a third party, you will notified by SMS when the package is delivered. Otherwise you will be notified by mail.
- If you have chosen to receive the maternity grant in cash, the money will be paid into your bank account.
- The online customer service shows whether your claim has been decided on, the benefit amount and the payment dates. You can also see any possible reminders concerning, for instance, documents missing from your claim.
- Alternatively you can fill in and print out the application form for Parental benefits for mothers (SV 9e) and send it with necessary attachments to Kela.
- If you live in the Åland Islands you should claim maternity grant from your municipality of residence.
- The pick-up location of the maternity package is determined based on your postal code and cannot be changed. There are plans to allow customers to choose the location for themselves.
When to claim
You can claim maternity grant after 154 days of pregnancy (about 5 months) if you have received a certificate of pregnancy from a doctor or a maternity and child welfare clinic. You should claim no later than two months before the expected date of birth of the child.
- Processing times for claims
- Appealing a desicion
- Instructions for using the online customer service system
Last modified 06/06/2017