How to apply for a Spouse's Pension from Kela
1. You can apply for a Spouse's Pension from Kela and an earnings-related pension provider at the same time by filing an Application for Survivors' Pension (form ETK/KELA 7004e). You may submit the application to any Kela office.
2. If your income is low, apply for an additional amount to the continuing Spouse's Pension by filing the form Leskeneläkkeen täydennysmäärän hakemus (EV 277 in Finnish). You can also apply for a Housing Allowance.
3. If you or your spouse have lived or worked outside Finland, also complete the form Residence and employment abroad - Appendix U (Etk/Kela7110e).
4. You may also be entitled to a survivors' pension from abroad.
5. If you have children under the age of 17 years, remember to apply for a single-parent supplement to the Child Benefit by filing the form Claim for Family Allowance / Child Benefit (LL1e). You will be granted the supplement if you have not started a new relationship after the death of your former spouse.
Apply for a Spouse's Pension starting from the beginning of the month following your spouse's death. Applications can be backdated up to 6 months.
Use Kela's online service to see whether your application has been decided and when the benefit will be paid out. For information about how long the handling of an application usually takes, see Application process for benefits.
The Spouse's Pension is paid monthly. The payment date is determined by the initial letter of the recipient's surname.
- 4th day of the month A–K
- 14th day of the month L–R
- 22nd day of the month S–Ö.