An incident has occured in Kela’s eService regarding unnecessary SMS-notifications More information
Update on the coronavirus situation
This page contains concise information on how the coronavirus epidemic (COVID-19) affects Kela’s benefits and services. During the epidemic, there may be delays in the processing of applications. The page will be updated as the situation evolves.
- The benefits you can get in different situations
- Application and supporting documentation
- Recovery of overpayments
- Customer service
- Press releases
- Documents photographed with a phone are accepted if the picture is clear and legible.
- Online you can also see if any supporting documents are missing or if the application must be supplemented in some other way.
- If information is missing from your application or if you are expected to do something, we will contact you. Remember to state a phone number where you can be reached.
You can also send applications to Kela by mail to the address
If you do not have a device or Internet connection of your own, you can call Kela’s telephone service.
Kela and the customer can agree that the recovery of overpaid benefits or guaranteed student loan debt is suspended. The recovery can be suspended by 6 months if you experience economic hardship because of the exceptional situation caused by the coronavirus outbreak. However, the recovery of child support debt cannot be suspended.
In Kela's online service you can send messages and ask questions. The service is available in Finnish and Swedish.
By telephone you can handle most Kela-matters.
- The services in Finnish and Swedish are open weekdays 9 am–4 pm.
- The service in English weekdays 9 am–3 pm.
- The services in Arabic, Somali and Russian are open on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 9 am to 12 noon. The phone numbers are the following:
- Arabic 020 6344 902
- Somali 020 6344 905
- Russian 020 6344 901.
Book a phone appointment, if you have several issues to discuss.
Most customer service points are open, but some of them are only open by appointment.
- Please check in advance in the customer service locator whether the customer service point in question is open.
- When necessary, we can book an appointment for you.
- If it is absolutely necessary to visit a customer service point, please maintain good hand hygiene and keep a safe distance to others.
- Please do not visit a customer service point if you have flu symptoms, you are in quarantine, you have travelled abroad in the last two weeks or you have been exposed to the corona virus.
- The customer service points apply effectivised cleaning and hygiene.
Please note: the customer service staff cannot speed up the processing of applications and they do not know when you will get a decision.
- Effects on benefits – Frequently asked questions
- Temporary financial assistance due to an epidemic outbreak
- Sickness allowance on account of an infectious disease
- Unemployment benefit in the coronavirus situation
- Social assistance in the coronavirus situation
- Current information about the coronavirus outbreak for employers (in Finnish)
- Current information about the coronavirus outbreak for cooperation partners (in Finnish)
Access to free treatment for COVID-19: Changes to eligibility
Two temporary benefits available from Kela amid the coronavirus outbreak
Temporary financial assistance during the coronavirus outbreak for persons on unpaid leave
The Finnish Government proposes a new benefit in response to the coronavirus outbreak