Due to updates there may be interruptions in our online services from 23:00 on 6 July until 03:00 on 7 July More information
EU Disability Card
The EU Disability Card is optional and available for a fee. Its purpose is to help persons with disabilities communicate and engage with others both in Finland and within the EU.
The card makes it easier for persons with disabilities to indicate their disabled status and their need for an assistant for example in public transport or at cultural and sports events.
Learn more about the EU Disability Card at vammaiskortti.fi. The website includes a search function that allows you to find all locations and services where the card is recognised. A 10 euro fee is charged when the card is issued.
Send your application to Kela
If you would like an EU Disability Card, you must first complete an application form and send it to Kela.
Kela confirms that you are eligible to receive the card and gives you permission to start the process of ordering the card. After that, you can access the card distributor’s ordering system to place an order.
Who can apply for an EU Disability Card?
You can apply for an EU Disability Card if you have been issued a decision which makes you eligible to receive the card. This means that you do not have to obtain a new decision just to apply for an EU Disability Card.
You are eligible to receive an EU Disability Card if you have received a notice of decision granting you one of the following benefits or services:
Benefits provided by Kela:
- Disability allowance for children under 16 years of age
- Disability allowance for persons aged 16 years or over
- Care allowance for pensioners
- Interpreter assistance for persons with hearing impairment (A)
- Interpreter assistance for persons with hearing and vision impairment (A)
- Interpreter assistance for persons with a speech impairment (A)
- Day activities under the Act on Services for Persons with Disabilities
- Mobility assistance provided under the Social Welfare Act
- Transport services provided under the Act on Services for Persons with Disabilities
- Vision Impairment Card (A)
- Agreement on informal care (the Disability Card is issued to the person cared for by an informal caregiver) (A)
- Travel companion service (A)
- Assisted living under the Act on Services for Persons with Disabilities (A)
- Personal assistance (A)
- Decision and services based on a special care programme (A)
(A) = You are entitled to have the A symbol marked on your card. The symbol shows that you need a companion or support person who will accompany you.