How to apply for rehabilitation subsidy or disability pension

  1. Apply for a disability pension online. Log in to Kela's e-service (in Finnish and Swedish) using your online banking codes or a mobile ID.
  2. What to enclose with your application
    • a recent medical certificate ‘B’ (issued within the last 6 months) and any other documents you wish to submit in support of your application. The treatment or rehabilitation plan can be provided as part of the statement from your doctor or as a separate document.
    • Appendix TM (Mela/Kela 001, PDF, in Finnish), if you are a farmer
    • Appendix U (Etk/Kela 7110e, PDF), if you have lived or worked abroad
    • Send the supporting documents in a message by using our e-service.
  3. To apply for an extension of a temporary rehabilitation subsidy, submit a new medical certificate to Kela (either a ‘B’ certificate, a separate treatment or rehabilitation plan, an ‘E’ certificate, or a medical history), stating the viewpoint of the doctor who is treating you on the duration of the incapacity for work.
  4. You can apply earning-related pension with the same application form in e-service and on paper application.

  5. In addition to a disability pension, you can apply for a child increase, a care allowance for pensioners or a pensioners’ housing allowance from Kela. These benefits are free from tax.

Alternatively, you can complete and print out an application form Disability pension (EtkKela7002e, PDF). Mail your application along with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA. You can also send the supporting documents in a message by using our e-service. Log in to the e-service using your online bank credentials or a mobile ID.

If interacting with Kela is challenging for you personally, you can authorise another person to do so on your behalf.


When to apply

Submit your application in good time. Disability pension awards can be backdated for no more than 6 months.

  • Use Kela's e-service to see whether your application has been decided and when the benefit will be paid out.
  • For information about how long the handling of an application usually takes, see Application process for benefits.

When needed, register as unemployed and looking for work

If Kela or the authorised pension provider turns down your application for a rehabilitation subsidy or disability pension, you should check your entitlement to an unemployment benefit. This requires that you register as an unemployed jobseeker with the TE Services (Public employment and business services).

When your sickness allowance ends and your disability pension application is still being processed:

  • Register as a jobseeker with the TE Services immediately. Please note that the job search cannot be applied retroactively. Keep your job search valid.
  • Announce that you are applying for a full-time job. Only a jobseeker applying for full-time work is entitled to unemployment benefit. A jobseeker on a part-time disability pension can apply for part-time work if he or she so wishes.
  • Register as a jobseeker even if you have a valid employment or service relationship. In addition, you must submit to Kela or the unemployment fund an employer's certificate stating that the employer does not have a job suitable for you to work.

Follow the same procedure in case your application has not yet been decided when the sickness allowance or the payment of sick pay ends.

Read more