An incident has occured in Kela’s interpreter service More information
Applying for entitlement to reimbursement of medicine expenses
Customers need a medical certificate issued by a doctor on form B to apply for an entitlement to reimbursement of medicine expenses at the special rate, to limited reimbursement, or to reimbursement for clinical nutrients.
How to apply
- Submit the medical certificate to Kela as soon as possible. You can also ask your doctor to send the certificate directly to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA. No separate application is required. If you are a member of a workplace sickness fund, submit the certificate to your fund.
- Visit Kela's online service to see if the medical certificate has arrived at Kela and if you have been granted an entitlement to reimbursement. In the menu on the left-hand side of the screen, you can see an item called 'Lääkkeiden erityiskorvausoikeudet' if you have an application for a reimbursement entitlement pending or if you have previously been issued decisions on reimbursement entitlement.
Decision on reimbursement entitlement and new Kela card
The entitlement to reimbursement can be granted on medical grounds.
- Special rate of reimbursement (in Finnish)
- Limited special reimbursement (in Finnish)
- Limited basic reimbursement (in Finnish)
- Reimbursement for clinical nutrients (in Finnish)
Once your application has been dealt with, you will receive a decision in the mail. If you are granted an entitlement to reimbursement, you will later also be mailed a new personal Kela card marked with a number indicating your entitlement.
The number begins with
- 1 if you are entitled to reimbursement at the higher special rate (100%)
- 2 if you are entitled to reimbursement at the lower special rate (65%)
- 3 if you are entitled to limited basic reimbursement (40%)
- 5 or 6 if you are entitled to reimbursement for clinical nutrients (40% or 65%).
Reimbursement at the pharmacy
The pharmacy confirms your entitlement to reimbursement by consulting Kela electronically. If you have been granted entitlement to reimbursement and meet the initial deductible, you will get the reimbursement due to you right away at the pharmacy. You get the reimbursement even if you do not yet have a new Kela card.
Post-purchase reimbursement from Kela
Reimbursements for medicine expenses at the special rate of reimbursement or at the basic rate (if the medicine is reimbursable at the basic rate on a limited basis), as well as reimbursements for the cost of clinical nutrients, can be paid as soon as the medical certificate has arrived at Kela. The reimbursement can cover medicine purchases made before the certificate arrived if other conditions for reimbursement are met. Reimbursement must be claimed within 6 months of purchasing medicines.