During illness and incapacity for work, you may be eligible for a number of benefits that provide compensation for costs and loss of income. Get an overview of the kind of support Kela can offer.
Economic security during illness and prolonged work disability
- Sickness allowance
- The purpose of the sickness allowance is to provide compensation for the loss of income resulting from incapacity from work.
- Partial sickness allowance
- If you are capable of returning to work on a part-time basis, you can get partial sickness allowance.
- Sickness allowance Rehabilitation subsidy and disability pension
- If you are ill or disabled for an extended period of time, you can apply for rehabilitation subsidy and disability pension in accordance with the provisions on national pensions and/or earnings-related pensions.
- Rehabilitation allowance
- Economic security during participation in rehabilitation.
- Disability benefits
- The disability allowance is intended to provide support for persons and adults with a disability or chronic illness as regards their daily life.
- Social assistance
- You can apply for basic social assistance if your incomes and assets are not sufficient to cover your necessary everyday expenses.
Reimbursements for medical expenses
- Kela provides partial reimbursement for the cost of medication prescribed for an illness.
- Travel costs
- You can get reimbursement for your travel costs in connection with the treatment of an illness.
- Dental care
- You can get reimbursement for an oral and dental examination performed by a dentist in private practice every other calendar year.
- Doctors’ fees
- Kela provides partial reimbursement for private doctor's fees if you are treated for an illness.
- Examination and treatment
- You can get reimbursement for the cost of examinations and treatments ordered by a doctor in private practice.