Commuting and relocation allowance
Commuting and relocation allowance can be granted if you accept a full-time or part-time job that lasts for at least 2 months where the daily commute takes at least 3 hours (as regards part-time work, 2 hours). The allowance is only paid for days of actual work.
Amount and payment
The commuting and relocation allowance is equal in amount to the basic unemployment allowance and the labour market subsidy. It is paid to those who received an unemployment benefit before starting work. It is also available to jobseekers who are not paid unemployment benefits while completing a waiting period or whose entitlement to benefits has been withdrawn for a specified period of time.
The commuting and relocation allowance is paid for a maximum of five days per week and at the most for the duration of the employment
- for 30 days if you accept a job that lasts for at least 2 months
- for 45 days if you accept a job that lasts for at least 3 months
- for 60 days if you accept a job that lasts for at least 4 months.
If you work part-time, you can receive wages, adjusted unemployment allowance as well as commuting and relocation allowance at the same time. The benefit is paid to your bank account every four weeks. Payment is made at the end of each four-week period. The first payment period is two weeks.
If education or training is needed in order to be able to take on a job, commuting and relocation allowance can also be paid for the time of education or training if the other eligibility criteria are met.
Applications for commuting and relocation allowance can be backdated by 3 months. The allowance can be increased if the commute is unusually long (more than 200 km). The increase is EUR 4.80 per day.
Kela sends the data on commuting and relocation allowances paid out to the national incomes register within five days of the date of payment.
If you move because of a job
Commuting and relocation allowance can also be paid if you move because of a job. The requirements regarding the duration of the employment and the working hours must be met also in such cases.
How to apply
- Fill in the form TYJ/Kela application form, in Finnish (tyj.fi) to apply for a commuting and relocation allowance. From the application you can check which document you should enclose with the application. You can apply for a maximum of 3 months retrospectively.
- Send your application online:
- Save the application and attachments on your device.
- If the application or attachments are on paper you can photograph or scan them.
- Log in to the e-service. It is only available in Finnish and Swedish. Go to Messages (Viestit).
- Choose the files from your device and press Send (Lähetä).
- When you send your application online you don’t need to sign it.
Another option is to send the application by mail:
- Sign the application and send it with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.
If you apply for commuting and relocation allowance from your unemployment fund, follow the instructions given by the fund.