Unemployment benefits in international situations

Kela also pays unemployment benefits in cross-border situations. Moving to Finland or looking for work in another country are examples of such situations. 

Benefits for unemployed and jobseekers in Finland

You are entitled to unemployment benefit if you are permanently resident in Finland and you are covered under the Finnish social security system. The unemployment benefit can be labour market subsidy, basic unemployment allowance or earnings-related unemployment allowance paid by the unemployment fund.

From Finland to another country to look for work

If you receive basic unemployment allowance and you plan to register as a jobseeker in another EU or EEA country or Switzerland, you should well in advance notify the TE Services about this. You retain your entitlement to basic unemployment allowance paid by Kela for a maximum of 3 months.

Read more