General housing allowance
- Who can get housing allowance
- Kela can pay general housing allowance to low-income households to help them meet their housing costs.
- What is a household?
- A household typically comprises the persons sharing living quarters. Kela pays housing allowance to the household as a whole.
- Effect of income
- The amount of housing allowance available is affected by the gross income of all adult members of the household. The income of household members who are under 18 is relevant only if they claim the allowance independently or together with their spouse or partner.
- Irregular income
- If you have irregular income, your housing allowance is calculated based on your average income. You can estimate your average income with this online calculator.
Assistance with housing costs
- General housing allowance
- The general housing allowance is intended for low-income households. It is available for both rental and owner-occupied housing.
- Housing allowance for pensioners
- Pensioners can get a housing allowance from Kela to help with their housing costs.
- Housing assistance for conscripts
- Persons doing military, non-military or voluntary armed service for women are entitled to housing assistance for conscripts , It can also be paid to the family members of a person completing their service.