Accessibility statement for www.kela.fi
This accessibility statement applies to the www.kela.fi website and to standalone applications and extranet services hosted there. The statement represents the situation as of 26 September 2020 and was last updated on 15 March 2022.
The website has been evaluated for accessibility at Kela. Segments of it have also been evaluated together with outside accessibility experts.
Other ways to contact us
How accessible is the website?
The online service is partially compliant with accessibility standards (WCAG 2.1 A and AA).
Users may encounter some accessibility issues on our website. The following is a list of known issues. If you discover a problem that is not listed, please let us know.
Contents or functionalities which are not yet fully accessible:
- Not all visual content has a text equivalent describing what the image or graphic element represents. (WCAG 1.1.1)
- Headers are not ranked correctly on all pages. (WCAG 1.3.1)
- The text description used in the application for looking up claims processing times (Select benefit) is not associated unambiguously with the list to which it relates. (WCAG 1.3.1)
- Subscription checkboxes for newsletters are not grouped in a way that allows the screen reader to recognise them as belonging to the same list. (WCAG 1.3.1)
- Certain parts of the website (e.g. breadcrumb trails and link texts) do not meet contrast ratio requirements. (WCAG 1.4.3)
- The Skip to Content link does not work on single-column pages (e.g. site map). (WCAG 2.4.1)
- Some link names are not fully descriptive, and some links to images are not accompanied by a text description. (WCAG 1.1.1 ja 2.4.4)
- Some of the links on the website do not include notification to the user that they will be opened in a new window. (WCAG 3.2.1)
- In-page navigation has some incorrect label usage. (WCAG 3.3.2)
- The website includes some embedded elements (for example videos) which are missing a text description. (WCAG 4.1.2)
- The search results for student restaurants do not reflow correctly on all devices. (WCAG 1.4.10)
Customer service locator
- The text description used in the customer service locator is not associated unambiguously with the list to which it relates. (WCAG 1.3.1)
- The route planner available in the customer service locator does not have the selection buttons grouped in a way that makes it apparent that they are part of the same list. (WCAG 1.3.1.)
The following calculators are not accessible:
- Parental allowance payment period
- Child care allowance
- Benefits for students
- Unemployment benefits
- General housing allowance
- Housing allowance for pensioners
Below are the known issues with the calculators:
- The services cannot be used conveniently with a screen reader or a keyboard. (WCAG 4.1 and 2.1.1)
- The application does not scale properly for use on different devices. (WCAG 1.4.10)
- Not all icons have a text equivalent. (WCAG 1.1.1)
- When text is resized by 200%, page content is only displayed horizontally, and viewing the page requires horizontal scrolling. (WCAG 1.3.4 and 1.4.4)
- There are accessibility issues with colour and contrast for example in action buttons. (WCAG 1.4.1 and 1.4.3)
- Text spacing is too narrow. (WCAG 1.4.12)
- Some headings and text labels are missing. (WCAG 2.4.6)
- Page language cannot be determined programmatically. (WCAG 3.1.1)
- Process status is not visible to users. (WCAG 3.2.3)
- There are issues with error identification and guidance, such as that no recommendation is provided to correct an error. (WCAG 3.3.1 and 3.3.3)
- Text field descriptions are missing. (WCAG 1.3.1)
We will correct the listed issues by the end of 2022.
Content which is inaccessible because compliance would impose a disproportionate burden
The below contents or functionalities will be replaced with new services that meet accessibility requirements. Making the existing services or contents accessibility compliant is not possible or would require major investment in the legacy systems. This would impose unreasonable burden on Kela.
Such content and functionalities are:
- forms in PDF format
- Kela is adopting new form creation software to enhance the forms and make them accessible. Accessible forms will be made available as they are completed during 2022. A modernised e-service will gradually replace PDF forms as the primary customer service channel.
- customer service by chat and remote service
The existing services will be replaced by a new, accessible service towards the end of 2023.
- rehabilitation course search and service provider search
- A new and accessible search has been launched in autumn 2021, and it will gradually replace the current separate search functions.
- In conjunction with a change of platforms, accessible file attachments will be migrated to the updated kela.fi website, which is scheduled to be launched in autumn 2022.
- facility allowing users to search benefit guideline archives; guidelines published before 10 January 2020
- The benefit guideline archival search will be made accessible in autumn 2022 in connection with the change of platforms on www.kela.fi.
- Benefit guidelines (PDF) published prior to 10 January 2020 will not be made accessible.
- library catalogue search
- The current catalogue search will be replaced with a new and accessible search function by the end of 2022.
- Kelasto statistical database
- The current version will no longer be updated. It will be replaced with a new, accessibility-compliant version.
The accessibility requirements do not apply to certain types of content
The following is a list of content on our website which is exempt from the statutory accessibility requirements.
Our website contains
- videos posted before 23 September 2020. These videos do not feature subtitles and/or audio description. There are videos also on Kela’s YouTube channel.
- The accessibility requirements do not apply to videos posted before 23 September 2020.
- files published before 23 September 2018.
- The accessibility requirements do not apply to files which were released before 23 September 2018 and which are not relevant to the rights and responsibilities of customers.
- archived materials such as press releases, blog posts or statistical and research data.
- The accessibility requirements do not apply to materials archived before 23 September 2019 which are not updated and are not needed for a case pending with a government authority.
- live video transmissions that do not feature subtitling and/or audio description.
- Live video does not come within the scope of the legislation.
Give feedback on accessibility
If you notice an issue with the accessibility of our service, tell us about it and we will do our best to fix it.
Accessibility feedback is received by our Technical Support team.
Ongoing evaluation of accessibility
If you notice issues with the accessibility of this website, please let us know first. We will reply within two weeks.
If you are not satisfied with our reply or if you do not receive a reply within two weeks, you can file a report with the Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland (in Finnish). The Agency website contains detailed instructions for filing a report and information on how the matter will be handled.
Contact information of the Regional State Administrative Agency
Saavutettavuuden valvonnan yksikkö
Telephone exchange: 0295 016 000
Our ongoing efforts to improve accessibility on our website
We will update this statement as we fix accessibility issues.
We are committed to improving the accessibility of our online services. The steps we are taking to ensure accessibility include the following:
- We will take accessibility requirements into account when developing our services.
- We will take special care to keep our text content easily understandable.
- We offer information on our website also in plain Finnish, plain Swedish and two sign languages.
- We are integrating accessibility considerations into our procurement processes.
- We provide accessibility training to our employees.