Interruption in online services 23 March 06:00–12:00 More information
How to claim child benefit
Claiming online is quick and easy
You can easily file the claim and supporting documentation through the online customer service system. Documents photographed with a phone are accepted if the photographs are clear.Send a claim
- Claim child benefit online. To log in to Kela's online customer service, use your online banking user ID and password or a mobile certificate.
- Claim the single-parent supplement online or on the same claim as the child benefit.
- Scan or take a photo of supporting documents and send them over the Internet.
- You can claim the child benefit at the same time you claim a maternity, paternity or parental allowance.
- On the front page of the online customer service, you can check if your claim has arrived or been decided, when the benefit will be paid and what benefits you have most recently received.
When to claim
Child benefit is payable retroactively for no more than 6 months as of the date of the claim.
If you have claimed child benefit for a child who is about to be born, you will receive a decision on the child benefit after the child has been born. The decision will be issued within one month of the birth.
The single-parent supplement is also payable for 6 months retroactively. It is granted from the beginning of the month following the change in family circumstances.