Interruption in online service for recruitment 21 September 01:00–08:00 More information
How to report changes that affect your child benefit
If you are paid a child benefit, tell Kela about
- starting or ending a cohabiting relationship. It is relevant to your eligibility for a single-parent supplement to the child benefit. You need not tell Kela about getting married or divorced because that information is provided to Kela by the Population Register Centre. However, please remember to claim or cancel the single-parent supplement to the child benefit.
- moving abroad as a family Also report if your child moves abroad or to the Åland Islands.
Report the changes online or by calling the customer service number for families with children. Online banking user ID and passwords are needed to log into the online service.
Don't forget to check how any changes in your circumstances will affect other benefits paid to you by Kela.
Which changes need not be reported?
- You need not tell Kela about the birth of a child, because that information is provided to Kela by the Population Register Centre. However, the amount of your child benefit is not increased automatically if the number of eligible children in your family changes, so you must claim it online.
- If your child moves in with the other parent, payment of the child benefit continues unchanged. Having the child benefit paid to the other parent requires the parent in question to claim it.
Frequently asked questions
- Reporting a new account number
- Change of address (in Finnish)
- Change of personal details (in Finnish)
- New tax card to Kela