Due to maintenance, users may encounter problems with document retrieval between 18:00 and 21:00 on 11 May 2021 More information
Due to updates there may be interruptions in our online services from 23:00 on 11 May until 06:00 on 12 May More information
Scheduled downtime affecting applications for social assistance between 06:00 and 08:00 on 11 May 2021 More information
How to claim child maintenance allowance
Child maintenance allowance can be claimed by the child’s parent or another person in whose care the child is. If the child has reached the age of 15 and is living on his/her own, the child can claim the allowance him/herself.
Claim the child maintenance allowance online
You can send your application and supporting documents conveniently by using our e-service. Clearly legible documents photographed with a phone are accepted.Claim now
- Apply for child maintenance allowance online. Log in to Kela's online customer service using your bank ID and password or a mobile certificate. Please note that the e-service is available in Finnish and Swedish only.
- If the parent liable for maintenance has not paid child support, please state in your claim the full period for which child support is unpaid.
- Enclose the original child support agreement or a court decision
- if you are claiming child maintenance allowance because the liable parent has not paid child support, enclose the original child support agreement or a court decision regarding the payment of child support. The original agreement or the court decision can be sent by post to Kela or handed in at the nearest Kela's customer service points. See the contact information for the customer service point nearest to you.
- if you are claiming child maintenance allowance because the amount of child support has been confirmed as lower than the child maintenance allowance, a copy of the agreement or court decision will be sufficient. You can send the copy through the online customer service by taking a picture of the document or by scanning it.
- if you have adopted a child as a single parent or if the paternity of a child born out of wedlock has not been confirmed, you do not need to hand in a child support agreement or court decision.
- Scan or take a photo of supporting documents and send them online.
- Visit our e-service to see if your application has been decided, how much you will get and when you will be paid. You can also see any possible reminders concerning, for instance, documents missing from your application. A written decision on your application will be sent to you by post.
You can also fill in and print the claim form for child maintenance allowance (form LU 1e, PDF). Mail your application along with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.
When to claim
You can claim the allowance for a maximum of 3 months retrospectively. For the period before that, Kela will grant the allowance only for special reasons. Kela will grant the child maintenance allowance until further notice or for a fixed term, if, for example, the child support agreement has been drawn up for a fixed period.
On the front page of Kela's online customer service, you can check if your claim has arrived or been decided, when the benefit will be paid and what benefits you have most recently received. In the online customer service, you can also see any reminders concerning, for instance, missing enclosures. For information about how long the handling of a claim takes on average, see 'Claim processing times and enquiries'.
If Kela grants child maintenance allowance, Kela can collect all unpaid child support payments from the parent liable for maintenance.