An incident has occured in Kela’s translation service for people with disabilities More information
Interruption in online service for claiming sickness allowance More information
Commuting and relocation allowance
Commuting and relocation allowance can be granted if you accept a full-time or part-time job that lasts for at least 2 months where the daily commute takes at least 3 hours (as regards part-time work, 2 hours). The allowance is only paid for days of actual work.
The commuting and relocation allowance is equal in amount to the basic unemployment allowance and the labour market subsidy. It is also available to jobseekers who are not paid unemployment benefits while completing a waiting period or whose entitlement to benefits has been withdrawn for a specified period of time.
The commuting and relocation allowance is paid for a maximum of five days per week and at the most for the duration of the employment
- for 30 days if you accept a job that lasts for at least 2 months
- for 45 days if you accept a job that lasts for at least 3 months
- for 60 days if you accept a job that lasts for at least 4 months.
If you work part-time, you can receive wages, adjusted unemployment allowance as well as commuting and relocation allowance at the same time. Payment is made at the end of each four-week period. The first payment period is two weeks.
If education or training is needed in order to be able to take on a job, commuting and relocation allowance can also be paid for the time of education or training if the other eligibility criteria are met.
The allowance can be increased if the commute is unusually long (more than 200 km). The increase is EUR 4.74 per day.The benefit is increased if you care for children under the age of 18 years. The child increase amounts to
- EUR 5.23 per day for one child
- EUR 7.68 per day in total for two children
- EUR 9.90 per day in total for three or more children.
If you move because of a job
Commuting and relocation allowance can also be paid if you move because of a job. The requirements regarding the duration of the employment and the daily working hours must be met also in such cases.
How to apply
Applications can be backdated up to 3 months.
- Commuting and relocation allowance is applied for on a form used jointly by the Federation of Unemployment Funds in Finland (TYJ) and Kela, application for commuting and relocation allowance / Liikkuvuusavustushakemus (tyj.fi, in Finnish and Swedish only).