Interruption in e-services on 19 September 2021 between 05:00 and 13:00, affecting the following identification methods: Aktia, Handelsbanken, Oma Säästöpankki, POP Pankki and Säästöpankki More information
Update on the coronavirus situation
This page contains concise information on how the coronavirus epidemic (COVID-19) affects Kela’s benefits and services. During the epidemic, there may be delays in the processing of applications. The page will be updated as the situation evolves.
- Reimbursement for trips made for the purpose of getting vaccinated for COVID-19
- The benefits you can get in different situations
- Application and supporting documentation
- When are decisions due?
- Recovery of overpayments
- Press releases
Kela provides compensation for trips made between 27 March 2021 and 31 December 2021 for the purpose of getting vaccinated for COVID-19. There is a maximum copayment of EUR 25 for each one-way trip. The compensation is calculated based on the least expensive way of reaching the vaccination site. You can get a reimbursement for using a taxi if that is your only alternative taking into account your health or difficult travel arrangements.
- Documents photographed with a phone are accepted if the picture is clear and legible.
- Online you can also see if any supporting documents are missing or if the application must be supplemented in some other way.
- If information is missing from your application or if you are expected to do something, we will contact you. Remember to state a phone number where you can be reached.
You can also send applications to Kela by mail to the address
If you do not have a device or Internet connection of your own, you can call Kela’s telephone service.
Online you can check up to date information about average application processing times per benefit.
For information about the processing of your application, sign in to Kela’s online service (available in Finnish or Swedish).
Kela’s customer service can help you with filling in or completing your application. The customer service does not have more exact information about when you will get a decision to your application.
Kela and the customer can agree that the recovery of overpaid benefits or guaranteed student loan debt is suspended. The recovery can be suspended by 6 months if you experience economic hardship because of the exceptional situation caused by the coronavirus outbreak. However, the recovery of child support debt or the recovery of healthcare fee for higher education students cannot be suspended.
If you would like the recovery process to be suspended temporarily, you must ask for it by 31 December 2021. After the temporary suspension is over, you will continue to pay back the debt as agreed with Kela’s Overpayment Recovery Centre.
- Effects on benefits – Frequently asked questions
- Sickness allowance on account of an infectious disease
- Unemployment benefit in the coronavirus situation
- Social assistance in the coronavirus situation
- Current information about the coronavirus outbreak for employers (in Finnish)
- Current information about the coronavirus outbreak for cooperation partners (in Finnish)
Persons experiencing prolonged disability because of COVID-19 can apply to Kela for a sickness allowance
New system for booking appointments to be launched, requires verification of identity
Non-EU seasonal workers may be eligible for the infectious disease allowance
Persons without a municipality of residence in Finland may be entitled to free COVID-19 testing, vaccination and treatment