How to apply for rehabilitation subsidy or disability pension

Apply for a rehabilitation subsidy or disability pension on an application form Disability pension (EtkKela7002e). Send it to the authorised pension provider or to Kela.

  1. What to enclose with your application
    • a recent medical certificate ‘B’ (issued within the last 6 months) and any other documents you wish to submit in support of your application. The treatment or rehabilitation plan can be provided as part of the statement from your doctor or as a separate document.
    • Appendix TM (Mela/Kela 001, in Finnish), if you are a farmer
    • Appendix U (Etk/Kela 7110e), if you have lived or worked abroad.
  2. To apply for an extension of a temporary rehabilitation subsidy, submit a new medical certificate to Kela (either a ‘B’ certificate, a separate treatment or rehabilitation plan, an ‘E’ certificate, or a medical history), stating the viewpoint of the doctor who is treating you on the duration of the incapacity for work.
  3. You can enclose the supporting documents with the application or send them online. You can also send the supporting documents later. If you send supporting documents online, you should scan or take a photo of them.
  4. In addition to a disability pension, you can apply for a child increase, a care allowance for pensioners or a pensioners’ housing allowance from Kela. These benefits are free from tax.

If interacting with Kela is challenging for you personally, you can authorise another person to do so on your behalf.

As of 1 January 2019, Kela obtains salary information from the national Incomes Register. Kela uses this data when processing claims and applications. You will be contacted if additional information is required.

When to apply

Submit your application in good time. Disability pension awards can be backdated for no more than 6 months.

  • Use Kela's online service to see whether your application has been decided and when the benefit will be paid out.
  • For information about how long the handling of an application usually takes, see Application process for benefits.

When needed, register as unemployed and looking for work

If Kela or the authorised pension provider turns down your application for a rehabilitation subsidy or disability pension, you should check your entitlement to an unemployment benefit. This requires that you register as an unemployed jobseeker with the Employment and Economic Development Office. Unemployment benefits cannot be granted retrospectively.

Follow the same procedure in case your application has not yet been decided when the sickness allowance or the payment of sick pay ends.

Read more