Employment abroad

Persons who work abroad for a maximum of 6 months are usually entitled to benefits. If the employment abroad continues for more than 6 months, the entitlement to benefits ends already when you leave Finland.

Please note that if you work in another EU or EEA country or Switzerland, you cannot be granted benefits even if the work abroad lasts only a short period of time, less than 6 months.

Posted workers and persons who work abroad for the Finnish government are entitled to benefits even if the employment abroad lasts for more than 6 months. Posted workers must together with their employer notify Kela of the work abroad if the work is carried out in some other country than an EU or EEA country or Switzerland. Family members must also report stays abroad.