Due to updates there may be interruptions in our online services from 23:00 on 6 July until 03:00 on 7 July More information
Housing costs and types of homes
Assistance with housing costs is available for rental, right-of-occupancy, part-ownership and owner-occupied homes situated in Finland.
If the household's home is shared with persons who are not part of the household, the housing costs are divided between members and non-members on a per-capita basis.
The amount of housing costs accepted under the housing allowance scheme depends on the type of housing. The home must be habitable or otherwise intended for permanent residential use.
The size, age or level of amenities of the home do not affect the housing allowance.
Acceptable housing costs
Kela pays housing benefits for acceptable housing costs such as the rent.
The acceptable housing costs vary by type of housing:
- rental home
- owner-occupied home (unit in a housing cooperative or single-family home)
- right-of-occupancy home
- part-ownership home.
Any costs paid by someone else than the household, such as an employer or a company, are not recognised as housing costs by Kela.
Additional costs paid separately but in connection with the rent or maintenance charge are also not recognised as housing costs. These include:
- laundry room
- internet access
If the household has a subtenant, the amount of rent paid by the subtenant is deducted from the household's housing costs.
Maximum housing costs
There is a statutory maximum limit on acceptable housing costs, i.e. maximum housing costs.
If the acceptable housing costs exceed the maximum housing costs, the housing allowance is not calculated on the basis of actual housing costs but the maximum housing costs.
The rates of maximum housing costs are linked to the household size and the municipality in which the home is located. They are pegged to the cost-of-living index.
If one of the household members is disabled and needs a particularly large amount of space on account of assistive devices or an outside caregiver, such a household member counts as two persons for the purpose of determining the amount of maximum housing costs.
|Municipality in category I, EUR per month||Municipality in category II, EUR per month||Municipality in category III, EUR per month||Municipality in category EUR, € per month|
|4||1 120||1 062||876||781|
|+ each additional person, EUR per month||140||133||120||115|
- Municipalities in category I: Helsinki
- Municipalities in category II: Espoo, Kauniainen ja Vantaa
- Municipalities in category III: Hyvinkää, Hämeenlinna, Joensuu, Jyväskylä, Järvenpää, Kajaani, Kerava, Kirkkonummi, Kouvola, Kuopio, Lahti, Lappeenranta, Lohja, Mikkeli, Nokia, Nurmijärvi, Oulu, Pori, Porvoo, Raisio, Riihimäki, Rovaniemi, Seinäjoki, Sipoo, Siuntio, Tampere, Turku, Tuusula, Vaasa and Vihti
- All other municipalities belong to category IV.
Maximum housing costs in Åland Islands municipalities:
- One-person household, EUR 420 per month
- Two-person household, EUR 614 per month
- Three-person household, EUR 778 per month
- Four-person household, EUR 922 per month
- If there are more than four persons in the household, the maximum housing costs are increased by EUR 126 for each additional person.