Interruption in access to appointment booking service 21 October 06:00-08:00 More information
An incident has occurred in Kela’s remote customer services More information
The online form for paying the student healthcare fee will be unavailable between 15 October and 21 October 2021 More information
How to apply for unemployment benefit
Apply for unemployment benefit online
Send the application and supporting documents online. Log in to the e-service using your online banking codes or a mobile certificate.Apply for benefits
- Read first Right to unemployment benefits.
- Register as an unemployed jobseeker with the TE Services. Unemployment benefits cannot be paid out unless you are registered as an unemployed jobseeker.
- Apply for unemployment benefit online. Please note that the e-service is available in Finnish and Swedish only.
- Unemployment benefits cannot be paid before the date on which you registered as an unemployed jobseeker.
- Scan or take a photo of any supporting documents and send them online. From the application you can check which documents you should enclose with the application.
- You may wish to write a cover note if the document you are sending is relevant to several different benefits.
- Documents that you have sent to the TE Services are not available to Kela.
- Kela obtains salary information from the national incomes register. Kela uses this data when processing claims and applications. You will be contacted if additional information is required.
- If you have received income from self-employment, dividend or rental income or significant interest income, Kela needs documentation on these.
- Visit our e-service to see if your application has been decided, how much you will get and when you will be paid. You can also see any possible reminders concerning, for instance, documents missing from your application. A written decision on your application will be sent to you by post.
Alternatively, you can complete and print out the application form for the Unemployment benefits (TT1e, PDF). Mail your application along with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.
When to apply
State the dates in the application starting from the day when you became unemployed. However, do not file the first application until you have been unemployed for 5 days. At that point, the waiting period has been completed.
A labour policy statement is needed in order to decide on the application. Kela receives the statement directly from the TE Services.
The first payment period for the unemployment benefit is two weeks. After that, the unemployment benefit is paid every four weeks on the basis of the unemployment status report. Indicate on the report whether you have been unemployed, working or participated in employment promoting measures.
You can only report days of unemployment afterwards. Applications for unemployment benefits can be backdated for up to 3 months.