An incident has occured in Kela’s appointment scheduling system. More information
How to apply for entitlement to medical care
You can ask Kela to determine if you are entitled to medical care when
- you move to Finland or stay in Finland
- you work in Finland but live in another EU or EEA country or in Switzerland.
- Fill in and print the form Entitlement to healthcare when moving to Finland SV 141e (pdf)
- Enclose additional documents in support of the application as necessary.
- Mail the application along with all necessary supporting documents to Kela.
- If you apply for a benefit for the first time after moving to Finland and your entitlement to benefits provided by Kela has not yet been determined, you should notify your move to Finland online. You can also complete and submit the form Moving to Finland Y 77e (pdf).
- If you have been denied a benefit and your circumstances change, you can apply for the benefit again. A change in circumstances can be, for instance, more working hours or higher pay so that the minimum entitlement criteria are met. Also in that case you should notify your move to Finland online or include the notification Moving to Finland Y 77e (pdf) with your application.
- Pension recipient: If you do not receive a pension from Finland but from another EU or EEA country or Switzerland, enclose certificate S1 or E 121 with the application. Request the certificate from the health insurance institution of the country that pays you a pension. If you receive a pension from another Nordic country, Great Britain or Northern Ireland, the certificate is not needed.
- Employee posted to Finland: Enclose certificate A1 on applicable legislation issued by the sending country with the application. If the sending country is some other country than a Nordic country, Great Britain or Northern Ireland, enclose a certificate S1 or E 106 issued by the sending country with your application.
- If your entitlement to medical care is based on employment in Finland, Kela can check the data that the employer has reported about your employment from the national incomes register. The national incomes register does not include data on employments that have ended before 2019.
- If you wish that Kela determines your entitlement to medical care afterwards for the period of employment in Finland, you must submit the contract of employment to Kela if your employment ended before 1 January 2019.