No appointment confirmation, change or cancellation messages will go out to customers between 05:00 and 20:00 on 25 September 2021 More information
Interruption in online customer service 25 September 05:00-20:00 More information
How to claim the maternity grant
- Claim maternity grant online. Please note that the e-service is available in Finnish and Swedish only.
- Scan or take a photo of any supporting documents and send them online. Enclose with the claim:
- A certificate showing that the pregnancy has lasted 154 days and that you have undergone a medical examination before the end of the 4th month of pregnancy. This pregnancy certificate can be obtained from your doctor or from the maternity and child welfare clinic.
- Adoptive parents must enclose a certificate stating that the child has been designated for placement in the adoptive family (form SV 94, PDF).
The certificate of pregnancy is not needed if you have already submitted it with a claim for maternity allowance.
Claim the maternity grant online
Send the application and supporting documents online. Log in to the e-service using your online banking codes or a mobile certificate.Claim now
- You can claim maternity allowance and child benefit at the same time.
- The maternity package will be sent to you via Matkahuolto within about two weeks of the award decision. Note: In the summer, there may be delays in the delivery of the maternity packages. The package will be sent to you within about three weeks of the award decision. If you gave your phone number when claiming the maternity grant and your consent that the phone number may be passed on to a third party, you will notified by SMS when the package is delivered. Otherwise you will be notified by mail.
- If you have chosen to receive the maternity grant in cash, the money will be paid into your bank account.
- Visit our e-service to see if your application has been decided, how much you will get and when you will be paid. You can also see any possible reminders concerning, for instance, documents missing from your application. A written decision on your application will be sent to you by post.
Alternatively, you can complete and print out the application form for Parental benefits for mothers (SV 9e, PDF). Mail your application along with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.
If you live in the Åland Islands you should claim maternity grant from your municipalities' social services (KST).
The pick-up location of the maternity package is determined based on your postal code and cannot be changed. There are plans to allow customers to choose the location for themselves.
When to claim
You can claim maternity grant after 154 days of pregnancy (about 5 months) if you have received a certificate of pregnancy from a doctor or a maternity and child welfare clinic. You should claim no later than two months before the expected date of birth of the child.