Benefits for multiple-birth families

Multiple-birth families are families with two or more children born at the same time; twins, triplets, quadruplets etc. In this context, multiple-birth families also refers to families with two or more children adopted at the same time. Certain Kela benefits are paid at a higher rate, or for longer, to multiple-birth families.

Sickness allowance and special maternity allowance during pregnancy

In the case of multiple-birth pregnancies, the mother usually goes on maternity leave earlier than mothers expecting only one baby. Mothers expecting twins or triplets can usually go on sick leave even earlier, although the pregnancy has been problem-free. If you have to take sick leave during pregnancy, consult your terms of employment to see if the sick leave will be paid or unpaid. If it is unpaid, you can claim sickness allowance from Kela.

If the mother cannot continue working during the pregnancy because of a work-related health risk, she can be granted special maternity allowance.

Maternity grant multiplied

If you give birth to two or more children at the same time, you will get the normal maternity grant multiplied by two for your second child, the normal maternity grant multiplied by three for your third child, etc. This means that for twins, you will receive three times the maternity grant, for triplets, six times the maternity grant, etc.

You can choose how you wish to take out each maternity grant: in cash or as a maternity package, in whatever combination you want. For example, if you give birth to twins, you can choose to have two maternity packages and one cash payment.

Maternity and paternity allowances

Maternity allowance and paternity allowance are not increased if more than one child is born at the same time. If the babies are born prematurely before the maternity leave begins, payment of the maternity allowance starts the day following the birth.

Parental allowance for an additional 60 days

Parents with multiple children born at the same time are entitled to an additional 60 working days of parental allowance for each child starting with the second. For one child, parental allowance is paid for 158 working days; for twins, for 218 working days (158 + 60 working days); for triplets, for 278 working days (158 + 60 + 60 working days), etc. The additional days can be used to extend the period of maternity allowance or parental allowance or to allow both parents to stay home to care for the children.

The parental allowance period, including the extension for multiple births, can be taken out in a maximum of 2 periods by each parent.

Both parents staying home at the same time

Both parents can stay home at the same time after childbirth to look after their children. Then the father of twins can take paternity leave for 36 working days and additional days of parental leave for 60 working days. The father can divide the days of paternity allowance into four periods, maximum, and the days of parental allowance into two periods, maximum. A father of twins could thus stay home at the same time with the mother for a total of about 16 weeks. Fathers can also take paternity leave or other family leaves later on, but not at the same time as the mother takes out leave.

Child care allowances

After the period of parental allowance, paternity allowance may be paid. During the period of paternity allowance, it is not possible to get child home care allowance or private day care allowance. It is not possible to get the allowances for either of the children who were born at the same time. 

Child care allowances cannot be paid to more than one parent at the same time. Care allowance in the child home care allowance is paid for one child in a multiple-birth family to the full amount for a child under 3 years of age and for the other children under 3 years of age to the amount of the increase for siblings. Care supplement is paid for one child only.

Care allowance and care supplement in the private day care allowance are paid to the same amount for all children who are entitled to the allowance.

Flexible or partial care allowance is only paid for one child to the same parent at the same time. 

However, the parents can apply for flexible or partial care allowance, so that one parent applies for allowance for one child and the other parent applies for allowance for the other child. 

Application for child home care allowance and flexible or partial care allowance for the same time is also possible, so that one parent applies for child home care allowance and the other parent applies for flexible or partial care allowance.

Child benefit

Child benefit is paid according to the number of eligible children in the family.