Were you granted a place of study? Remember to apply for student financial aid and housing allowance

New students should apply for student financial aid and general housing allowance in time. Student financial aid and housing allowance are applied for on separate applications.

New students can apply for student financial aid when the place of study has been confirmed. Students aged 15–16 years can be granted supplementary allowance for the purchase of study materials if their parents have low incomes. With the help of Kela’s calculators (in Finnish or in Swedish) students can estimate what type of benefit they can receive and the amount of the benefit.

If you have to separately accept the place of study, you should apply for student financial aid as soon as you have accepted the place of study. Financial aid can be granted from the beginning of the month in which the application arrived. You should apply for financial aid for your entire course of study at the same time.

Students can apply for financial aid even if they have not yet arranged housing in the town or city where they will be studying. When housing has been arranged, the student must file a notification of move. The notification can be filed for instance at www.muuttoilmoitus.fi. Kela checks the student's accommodation when the first study grant has been paid.

Students in institutes of vocational education, upper secondary schools and adult primary education can be granted school transport subsidy. Complete the form Koulumatkatukihakemus (Application for school transport subsidy) (KM 1) and submit it to the school. School transport subsidy cannot be applied for via Kela's e-service.  

Do you already know where you will be living? Apply for general housing allowance now

Students should apply for housing allowance as soon as they have entered a rental agreement and have information about their income, housing costs and other living circumstances. Students under 18 years of age who independently move into rental housing can apply for housing allowance after they have received a positive decision on the student financial aid.

Kela can grant housing allowance from the beginning of the month if the rental agreement is in force from the first day of the month and the applicant moves into the home during the month in question. Furthermore, the application should be submitted to Kela by the end of the following month.

The general housing allowance is granted to the entire household as a whole. The application is made by one household member on behalf of all residents. A household includes spouses/partners or close relatives (grandparents, parents and children) who live in the same home, or persons renting a home under a joint rental agreement. The award of housing benefits is affected by the regular income of all the persons making up a household. Earnings, capital income and most benefits, such as student financial aid, are counted as the household’s income. The student loan does not count as income. Use the calculator for housing allowance to estimate whether you qualify for housing allowance on the basis of the incomes of the household, housing costs and type of housing. With the help of the calculator you can also estimate what the amount of the housing allowance would be.

The rental agreement must always be enclosed with the application. A rental agreement is also needed when the applicant lives in a student apartment. If information about the rental agreement is provided to Kela electronically by the landlord, you need not enclose the rental agreement. Landlords who provide rental agreement information to Kela electronically.

A student housing supplement may be available to those who are studying abroad or in the Åland Islands. A supplement is also paid to students who are enrolled in a tuition-based programme at a Finnish folk high school or sports institute and live in the school dormitory. The student housing supplement is applied for with the same application as the student financial aid.

Online application is quick and easy

With the help of Kela’s calculators students can estimate what type of benefit they can receive and the amount of the benefit.

Both student financial aid and housing allowance can be applied for via Kela's e-service at www.kela.fi/asiointi (in Finnish) or www.fpa.fi/etjanst (in Swedish). Supporting documentation can also be sent online. On the basis of the application Kela determines what type of benefits for students the student can be granted.

Students who receive both housing allowance and student financial aid must keep track of the annual income limit in connection with student financial aid and the monthly earnings that affect the housing allowance. General housing allowance must be reviewed if the income of your household increases by at least EUR 400 per month or decreases by at least EUR 200 per month compared to the previous housing allowance decision. Changes in income must be reported to Kela without delay. Before submitting a request for a review of your housing allowance, you can check if you need to submit a request for a review by calling Kela’s customer service number 020 634 2550.

What to do if you need interpreter assistance at school because of a disability or impairment

Apply for the right to interpreter assistance for students as soon as you get a decision that you have been granted a place of study. Be sure also to book an interpreter well in advance.

Additional information for customers