Due to maintenance, users may encounter problems with document retrieval between 19:00 and 23:00 on 23 January 2021 More information
How to claim parental allowance
Claim parental allowance online
You can send your application and supporting documents conveniently by using our e-service. Clearly legible documents photographed with a phone are accepted.Claim now
- Claim parental allowance online. Log in to Kela's online customer service, use your online banking user ID and password or a mobile certificate. Please note that the e-service is available in Finnish and Swedish only.
- The start and end dates of the parental allowance must be indicated on the application. You can use this calculator to check them.
- The amount of the parental allowance depends on your income. Please note the following:
- When you claim a parental allowance that starts on 1 January 2020 or later, the parental allowance is determined on the basis of an annual income. Kela usually receives information on wages and salaries from the national incomes register, so this information need not be reported to Kela separately. Read more on the annual income. If you have been paid a maternity or paternity allowance for the same child, the parental allowance is calculated on the basis of the same income.
- If your employer pays you a salary during the parental leave, state in the application for what period you are paid a salary. The paternity allowance is paid to your employer for the period during which you are paid a salary. In this case the employer has to file a claim of their own. Your employer can claim the parental allowance by reporting your salary during your parental leave via the online service for employers, via the national incomes register or by completing a form (Y 17e).
- If the expected due date of your child comes before the second-youngest child is 3 years old, and you claim the immediately preceding allowance based on the second-youngest child, you need not state that in the claim.
- If your right to the parental allowance has started before 31 December 2019, please read the instructions on the How the amount of parental allowances is determined until 31 December 2019 page.
- Scan or take a photo of supporting documents and send them online. Enclose with the claim:
If the mother has already had a postnatal health check-up at the time you are claiming parental allowance, and you have not submitted the certificate of the postnatal check-up yet, you have to submit the certificate along with your claim.
If you claim parental allowance before the mother has had a health check-up, submit the certificate afterwards through Kela's online customer service.
- Visit our e-service to see if your application has been decided, how much you will get and when you will be paid. You can also see any possible reminders concerning, for instance, documents missing from your application. A written decision on your application will be sent to you by post.
Alternatively, you can fill in and print out the application form for parental benefits for mothers (SV 9e, PDF) for form parental benefits for fathers (SV 29ae, PDF). Mail your application along with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.
To qualify for the parental allowance, you must submit a certificate that the mother has undergone a postnatal health check-up within 5 to 12 weeks of childbirth. The requirement does not apply to fathers who are taking care of the child alone.
When to claim
File your claim at least a month before the payment of the parental allowance is set to start. Parental allowance can be claimed at the same time maternity allowance or paternity allowance. An extension to the parental allowance period for a mother who cares for the child alone must be applied for at the latest 1 month before the start of the extended period, i.e. the end of the parental allowance period.
Either the mother or father can take parental leave.
Students may be entitled to interest assistance. It is claimed on form OT 7 (PDF, in Finnish).
Notify Kela immediately of any changes in your circumstances, such as starting work or school. This will prevent overpayments of parental allowance, which you would have to pay back. You can make the notification via Kela's online customer service.