How to report changes that affect maternity, paternity or parental allowances

The parental allowance system is being reformed - are you on the right page?

The information on this page applies to your family if:

  • the estimated due date of your baby is before 4 September 2022
  • you are adopting and the child will be placed in your care on or before 30 July 2022.

Click here for further information on parental allowances when the estimated due date of the baby is on or after 4 September 2022.

If you get maternity, special maternity, paternity or parental allowance, tell Kela about the following:

  • you are in paid employment on regular working days (Monday to Saturday). Check the information about each specific benefit as to whether you are permitted to work while receiving maternity, paternity or parental allowance
  • you move abroad as a family
  • a child of yours moves abroad

Report changes online. To log in to Kela's e-service, use your online banking user ID and password or a mobile certificate. You can also call the customer service number for families with children.

Which changes need not be reported?

  • If you work on Sundays or other holidays
  • If you are paid holiday bonus or holiday pay during special maternity, maternity, paternity or parental leave.

Frequently asked questions

Read more