How to claim partial care allowance

Claim the partial care allowance online

Send the application and supporting documents online. Log in to the e-service using your online banking codes or a mobile certificate.

Claim now
  1. File a claim for the partial care allowance online. Please note that the e-service is available in Finnish and Swedish only.
  2. If both parents share the partial child care leave, they both have to file a separate claim for partial care allowance. The parents must then in the section for additional information describe how they share the child care responsibilities.
  3. Scan or take a photo of supporting documents and send them online. Enclose with the claim:
    • employer's statement indicating all working hours per week, the reason for reduced working hours and the employer's contact information. Alternatively, the employer can file the statement via the online customer service system for employers.
  4. Visit our e-service to see if your application has been decided, how much you will get and when you will be paid. You can also see any possible reminders concerning, for instance, documents missing from your application. A written decision on your application will be sent to you by post.

Alternatively you can fill in and print out the claims form for partial care allowance (form WH 9e, PDF). Mail your application along with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.

If you live in the Åland Islands, you should claim partial care allowance from your home municipality.

If you are filing a claim in paper form, your employer can provide the necessary information on the claim. The supporting document can also be a copy of the employer's statement, detailing the working hours.

When to claim

You can apply for partial care allowance as soon as you have an agreement with your employer about taking a partial care leave. It is payable retroactively for up to six months, so you should apply within six months of having started the partial care leave.

If you wish to end payment of the allowance, you can arrange that online. You can also contact Kela by phone. Alternatively, you can write a free-form letter and send it to the nearest Kela's customer service points.

Don't forget

Remember to report all changes in your circumstances in regard to the partial care allowance to Kela so that the benefit can be paid correctly.

Read more