Corona situation effects Kela’s benefits, services and the processing of applications More information
Pension assistance for elderly long-term unemployed persons
Pension assistance is aimed at providing income security for elderly long-term unemployed persons who have been unemployed for five years with no or few interruptions.
You qualify for pension assistance if you
- are living in Finland
- were born before 1 September 1956, i.e. you reached the age of 60 before 1 September 2016
- are under 65 years
- you were entitled to labour market subsidy on 31 August 2016, and
- you, during the period 1 September 2010 to 31 August 2016, received labour market subsidy for at least 1,250 days or unemployment allowance for the maximum period of time and, in addition to this, labour market subsidy for at least 750 days.
If you receive any of the following benefits, you are not entitled to pension assistance:
- national pension (old-age or disability pension)
- guarantee pension
- earnings-related pension (e.g. old-age pension, partial early old-age pension, disability pension, rehabilitation subsidy)
- farm closure compensation
- voluntary earnings-related pension, if it is based on a public- or private-sector employment relationship, self-employment or a position of trust
- sickness allowance or rehabilitation allowance paid by Kela
- any equivalent benefits received from abroad.
National pension, guarantee pension and earnings-related pension that has been suspended, or any equivalent benefit from abroad prevents the payment of pension assistance.
If you start receiving a pension, for example earnings-related pension, payment of pension assistance will end. When you reach the age of 65, the payment of pension assistance will end.