Interruption in online service 14 November 06:00–07:00 More information
How to claim reimbursement for medical expenses
Usually you get a reimbursement for the cost of examinations and treatments ordered by a doctor in private practice directly at the place of care. If this is not the case, you can claim reimbursement from Kela afterwards.
Reimbursement for medical care expenses cannot be claimed online. The claim and any supporting documents must be sent to Kela by mail.
- Fill in and print out the claim form Medical care expenses incurred in Finland (SV 127e).
- If the costs were incurred abroad, fill in the form titled Medical care expenses incurred abroad (SV 128e)
- Enclose with the claim forms filled out by the treatment provider which indicate the treatment given by a doctor or the examination or treatment ordered by a doctor.
- Mail the claim along with the supporting documents to Kela or your workplace sickness fund. You can also use the Message function on Kela's online customer service to send the supporting documents.
- Visit Kela's online customer service to see the total amount you have been reimbursed for private health care during the calendar year. You can also look up the Kela reimbursements provided to you as a direct reimbursement.
When to claim
File your claim within 6 months of the original expense.