Maternity, paternity or parental allowance for persons who are self-employed

Self-employed persons are entitled to allowances for parents provided by Kela. These allowances include maternity, paternity and parental allowance as well as special maternity allowance. After the periods of allowances for parents, it is possible to get childcare allowances.

The amount of the allowances for parents is based on an annual income. For self-employed persons, the annual income is equivalent to the reported income subject to YEL (Self-Employed Persons' Pensions Act) or MYEL (Farmers' Pensions Act) insurance.


  1. Read first how and for which period you can get allowances for parents.
  2. The amount of the allowance is based on an annual income. You can estimate the amount of the allowance using an online benefit calculator (in Finnish).
  3. Read instructions for how to apply for allowances for parents and about the amount of the allowances.

Return to work

  1. You can work at the same time as you get an allowance for parents. Read more about how work affects different types of allowance for parents:
  2. Remember to report changes to Kela.
  3. If you want to work at the same time as you care for the child together with the other parent, please read more about the partial parental allowance.

Child care

  1. When the payment of parental allowance ends, the child is approximately 9 months old. There are many ways of arranging day care for the child after the period of parental allowance. Read more about the childcare allowances provided by Kela.
  2. Remember to report changes to Kela.

All benefits provided by Kela for families with children are described in the section for families.