Special maternity allowance
You can get a special maternity allowance if you have to stay off work before the maternity allowance period, and
- you are in your work exposed to chemical substances, radiation or an infectious disease
- the possibility of exposure cannot be prevented, and
- your employer cannot reassign you for the duration of the pregnancy.
The risk factors are defined in the Health Insurance Decree.
Any special maternity allowance you receive does not reduce the regular maternity allowance. The special maternity allowance is paid until the maternity allowance period begins. If the circumstances at work can be made safe or the contract of employment ends, payment of the special maternity allowance ends as well. You cannot work for another employer while in receipt of the special maternity allowance.
Claiming online is quick and easy
You can easily file the claim and supporting documentation via the online customer service system. Documents photographed with a phone are accepted.Send a claim
The special maternity allowance is paid at the same rate as the regular maternity allowance. If you are paid by your employer while in receipt of the special maternity allowance, your employer will claim compensation from Kela.
How to claim
- Claim within 4 months of your last day at work before maternity leave.
- Claim special maternity allowance online. To log in to Kela's online customer service, use your online banking user ID and password or a mobile certificate. The claim for the special maternity allowance can be found at Hakemukset ja ilmoitukset (Applications and notifications) > Vanhempainpäiväraha (Maternity, paternity and parental allowances).
- Scan or take a photo of supporting documents and send them over the Internet. Enclose with the claim:
- Statement by a doctor or the health centre about the pregnancy (e.g., SV 75 form)
- Statement (SV 97 form) by an occupational health physician concerning workplace health risks to foetal development or to the continuation of the pregnancy
- Information from your employer about the circumstances at work and the work absence (SV 96 form).
- You can claim maternity and parental allowance at the same time if your pregnancy has lasted at least 154 days.
- Use Kela's online service to see whether your claim has been decided and when the allowance will be paid out.