Interruption in online service 26 November 06:00–08:00 More information
Special maternity allowance
You can get a special maternity allowance if you have to stay off work before the maternity allowance period, and
- you are in your work exposed to chemical substances, radiation or an infectious disease
- the possibility of exposure cannot be prevented, and
- your employer cannot reassign you for the duration of the pregnancy.
The risk factors are defined in the Health Insurance Decree.
Another requirement is that you must have been entitled to coverage under the Finnish social security system for at least 180 days immediately before the expected due date for your child. Periods of insurance spent in other EU/EEA countries, Switzerland or Israel may count towards the 180-day requirement. If you move to Finland from another country, see the section From other countries to Finland.
Any special maternity allowance you receive does not reduce the regular maternity allowance. The special maternity allowance is paid until the maternity allowance period begins. If the circumstances at work can be made safe or the contract of employment ends, payment of the special maternity allowance ends as well. You cannot work for another employer while in receipt of the special maternity allowance.
Claim the special maternity allowance online
You can easily file the claim and supporting documentation by using our e-service. Clearly legible documents photographed with a phone are accepted.Claim now
The special maternity allowance is paid at the same rate as the regular maternity allowance. If you are paid by your employer while in receipt of the special maternity allowance, your employer will claim compensation from Kela.
How to claim
- Claim within 4 months of your last day at work before maternity leave.
- Claim special maternity allowance online. Log in to Kela's online customer service using your online banking user ID and password or a mobile certificate.
- Scan or take a photo of supporting documents and send them online. Enclose with the claim:
- Statement by a doctor or the health centre about the pregnancy (e.g., SV 75 form)
- Statement (SV 97 form) by an occupational health physician concerning workplace health risks to foetal development or to the continuation of the pregnancy
- Information from your employer about the circumstances at work and the work absence (form SV 96, PDF).
- The amount of the special maternity allowance is based on your income.
- When you claim a maternity allowance that starts on 1 January 2020 or later, the maternity allowance is determined on the basis of an annual income. Kela usually receives information on wages and salaries from the national incomes register, so this information need not be reported to Kela separately. Read more on the annual income.
- If you are paid a salary during the special maternity leave, declare that on the claim. The special maternity allowance is paid to your employer for the period during which you are paid a salary. In this case the employer has to file a claim of their own.
- If the expected due date of your child comes before the second-youngest child is 3 years old, and you claim the immediately preceding allowance based on the second-youngest child, you need not state that in the claim. This information will be available to Kela automatically when dealing with your claim.
- f your right to the special maternity allowance has started before 31 December 2019, please read the instructions on the How the amount of parental allowances is determined until 31 December 2019 page.
- You can claim maternity and parental allowance at the same time if your pregnancy has lasted at least 154 days.
- Visit our e-service to see if your application has been decided, how much you will get and when you will be paid. You can also see any possible reminders concerning, for instance, documents missing from your application. A written decision on your application will be sent to you by post.
Alternatively, you can complete and print out the application form for Parental benefits for mothers (SV 9e, PDF). Mail your application along with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.