Special maternity allowance
You can get a special maternity allowance if you have to stay off work before the maternity allowance period, and
- you are in your work exposed to chemical substances, radiation or an infectious disease
- the possibility of exposure cannot be prevented, and
- your employer cannot reassign you for the duration of the pregnancy.
The risk factors are defined in the Health Insurance Decree.
Another requirement is that you must have been entitled to coverage under the Finnish social security system for at least 180 days immediately before the expected due date for your child. Periods of insurance spent in other EU/EEA countries, Switzerland or Israel may count towards the 180-day requirement. If you move to Finland from another country, see the section From other countries to Finland.
Any special maternity allowance you receive does not reduce the regular maternity allowance. The special maternity allowance is paid until the maternity allowance period begins. If the circumstances at work can be made safe or the contract of employment ends, payment of the special maternity allowance ends as well. You cannot work for another employer while in receipt of the special maternity allowance.
Claiming online is quick and easy
You can easily file the claim and supporting documentation via the online customer service system. Documents photographed with a phone are accepted.Send a claim
The special maternity allowance is paid at the same rate as the regular maternity allowance. If you are paid by your employer while in receipt of the special maternity allowance, your employer will claim compensation from Kela.
How to claim
- Claim within 4 months of your last day at work before maternity leave.
- Claim special maternity allowance online. To log in to Kela's online customer service, use your online banking user ID and password or a mobile certificate. The claim for the special maternity allowance can be found at Hakemukset ja ilmoitukset (Applications and notifications) > Vanhempainpäiväraha (Maternity, paternity and parental allowances).
- Scan or take a photo of supporting documents and send them over the Internet. Enclose with the claim:
- Statement by a doctor or the health centre about the pregnancy (e.g., SV 75 form)
- Statement (SV 97 form) by an occupational health physician concerning workplace health risks to foetal development or to the continuation of the pregnancy
- Information from your employer about the circumstances at work and the work absence (SV 96 form).
- The amount of the special maternity allowance is based on your income.
- When you claim a maternity allowance that starts on 1 January 2020 or later, the maternity allowance is determined on the basis of an annual income. Kela usually receives information on wages and salaries from the national incomes register, so this information need not be reported to Kela separately. Read more on the annual income.
- If you are paid a salary during the special maternity leave, declare that on the claim. The special maternity allowance is paid to your employer for the period during which you are paid a salary. In this case the employer has to file a claim of their own.
- If the expected due date of your child comes before the second-youngest child is 3 years old, and you claim the immediately preceding allowance based on the second-youngest child, you need not state that in the claim. This information will be available to Kela automatically when dealing with your claim.
- f your right to the special maternity allowance has started before 31 December 2019, please read the instructions on the How the amount of parental allowances is determined until 31 December 2019 page.
- You can claim maternity and parental allowance at the same time if your pregnancy has lasted at least 154 days.
- Use Kela's online service to see whether your claim has been decided and when the allowance will be paid out.
Alternatively you can fill in and print out the application form for Parental benefits for mothers (SV 9e) and send it with necessary attachments to Kela or hand it in at one of Kela's customer service points.