Due to updates there may be interruptions in our online services from 23:00 on 6 July until 03:00 on 7 July More information
Effects of residence abroad on the spouse's pension
If you have lived abroad you can receive a spouse's pension from Kela if you are covered by the Finnish social security system.
- All the following criteria must be met, however:
- The deceased lived in Finland for at least 3 years after having reached the age of 16 years.
- The deceased lived in Finland when he or she died.
- You yourself have lived in Finland for at least 3 years after having reached the age of 16 years.
- Before the death of the spouse/partner, you lived in Finland for at least 3 years.
- You have moved back to Finland within one year of the death of your spouse/partner.
You can receive a pension from abroad also on the basis of an international agreement. If you or your spouse/partner have lived abroad, you should check with Kela how the residence abroad affects the spouse's pension.