How to apply for a spouse’s pension from Kela

  1. Apply for spouse's pension from both Kela and the earnings-related pension scheme on the same form.
  2. Complete and print out the application form Spouse’s pension (ETK/KELA 7004e, PDF).
  3. Mail your application along with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA or the authorised pension provider of your deceased spouse/partner. You can also send the supporting documents in a message by using our e-service. Log in to the e-service using your online bank credentials or a mobile ID.
  4. A written decision on your application will be sent to you by post. You can also view the decision on our e-service.
  5. You can apply for a spouse’s pension provided by an authorised pension provider also from your authorised pension provider. Go to the e-service of the pension provider here. Use your online banking user ID and password to log into the service. In the pension provider’s e-service, you can at the same time also apply for a spouse’s pension from Kela.


If your incomes are low, apply for an additional amount to the continuing pension on form Leskeneläkkeen täydennysmäärän hakemus (EV 277, PDF, in Finnish). You can also estimate your entitlement to housing allowance with the help of a calculator.

If you or your spouse/partner have lived or worked abroad, you should also complete appendix U Residence and employment abroad (ETK/KELA 7110e, PDF).  You may also be entitled to a survivors’ pension from abroad.

If you have children aged under 17 years, you should apply for a single-parent supplement to the child benefit. You will be granted the supplement if you have not started a new relationship after the death of your former spouse/partner.

Employers will start reporting pay details to the Incomes Register as of 1 January 2019. Kela can use this data.

When to apply

Apply for a spouse’s pension starting from the beginning of the month following your spouse’s/partner’s death. Kela grants the benefit for a maximum of six months retrospectively.

When you want to see if your application has been decided, visit Kela's e-service.

Further information