How to apply for temporary financial assistance due to an epidemic outbreak
Read first if you have a right to temporary financial assistance due to an epidemic outbreak.
Include with your application a certificate from your employer about your unpaid leave of absence (form SV20ae, PDF) or some other document with the equivalent information. Your employer can also send the necessary information on a form or through the e-service for employers.
Send your application and supporting documents online
Send your application and supporting documents as a message on Kela's e-service (in Finnish and Swedish only).Send an application
- If the child you are looking after has special needs or is in extended compulsory education or preparatory education prior to starting basic education, please provide, along with this application, a copy of a certificate, notice of decision or other document from the municipal authorities.
- Use Kela’s e-service to send the application and the supporting documents. You can send all the files as attachments to the same message. If the application and the documents you are sending are not in a digital format, you can either scan them or take a photograph of them. Under ‘Aihe’, select ‘Sairastaminen’ (Illness) and then under ‘Tarkenne’, ‘Epidemiatuki’ (Financial assistance due to an epidemic outbreak). You can also mail your application to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.
- If you want to see if your application has been decided, or how much and when you will be paid, visit Kela's e-service. You can find the relevant information under tartuntatautipäiväraha (Infectious disease allowance). A decision letter will be sent to your home address.
Foreign seasonal workers in Finland
Foreign seasonal workers who come to Finland and who for taxation purposes are considered non-resident can apply for temporary financial assistance due to an epidemic outbreak as follows:
- Complete the application form SV 21e (PDF).
- Enclose the following with the application:
- a certificate from your employer concerning your unpaid leave (form SV 20ae, PDF)
- a revised tax card for nonresidents or a tax-at-source card you have received for social security benefit payments
- a copy of a valid identity document (for example a passport) if you do not have a Finnish personal identity code.
- Mail the application along with all necessary supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.
- You will receive a written decision letter at the address you provided in your application.
If you cannot apply for temporary financial assistance due to an epidemic outbreak on a paper form, you can do so verbally. In that case, call Kela at 020 634 2550.
When to apply
Temporary financial assistance due to an epidemic outbreak is available retroactively for up to three calendar months and from 16 March 2020 at the earliest.
If you wish to apply for the period beginning 16 March 2020, your application must reach Kela by 30 June 2020.
If your right to temporary financial assistance due to an epidemic outbreak ends, Kela will stop the payment. If you are receiving assistance and your circumstances change, tell Kela about it immediately.
You must notify Kela without delay of the following changes:
- your unpaid leave of absence ends and you go back to work
- your employment contract ends while you are on unpaid leave.
Report changes by sending a message on Kela’s e-service. Under ‘Aihe’, select ‘Sairastaminen’ (Illness) and then under ‘Tarkenne’, ‘Epidemiatuki’ (Financial assistance due to an epidemic outbreak).
If you need more information or help applying for temporary financial assistance due to an epidemic outbreak, contact Kela preferably by phone.
The customer service number is 020 634 2550. A customer service advisor is available between 9am and 4pm Monday to Friday.