Types of income which do not affect the housing allowance

Certain social benefits, incidental income, compensations for expenses included in salary and the income of minor children do not count as household income. 

The following social benefits do not count as income

  • social assistance (income support)
  • child benefit
  • child increase paid under the National Pensions Act
  • maternity grant
  • conscript’s allowance
  • student loan and housing supplement and provider supplements to the study grant
  • supplementary allowance for the purchase of study materials
  • orphan’s pension
  • disability allowance for children under 16 years of age
  • disability allowance for persons aged 16 years or over
  • care allowance for pensioners
  • front-veteran’s supplement and additional front-veteran’s supplement
  • compensation for family caregivers
  • compensations for expenses and maintenance allowances
  • grants and subsidies unless paid towards securing a living
  • compensations for the costs of family day care
  • compensations paid under the Act on Injuries Sustained in Military Service
  • compensations paid on account of a disability or impairment
  • child support and child maintenance allowance
  • disability indemnity under the Employment Accidents Act
  • re-employment bonus
  • a foreign benefit or foreign income comparable to any of the above

Incidental income includes the following

  • inheritance
  • gift
  • incidental profit from sales
  • other comparable incidental income

Compensations for expenses included in salary can be

  • kilometre allowances
  • per diem allowances.

Income of a child

The income of a minor child counts only if the child is the applicant or the spouse of an applicant.

Read more: