Financial aid is available from Kela for post-comprehensive school education.
While you are in school, you may be eligible for
- student financial aid in three forms: Study Grants, Housing Supplements and government guarantees for student loans
- School Transport Subsidy (for students in secondary education)
- meal subsidy (for higher education students)
- adult education subsidy.
Student financial aid is available for full-time post-comprehensive school studies lasting at least two months at an upper secondary school, folk high school, vocational school or institution of higher education. Financial aid is also available for studies abroad.
The amount of financial aid depends on the type of school, your age and marital status, your mode of accommodation and, in higher education, the date you started your studies. It is also affected by your income and sometimes also by your parents' and your spouse's income.
After you have graduated, you may be eligible for
- a student loan compensation or a tax deduction for your student loan (if you have completed a higher-education degree)
- assistance with student loan interest.
By completing a degree, you earn credits towards earnings-related pension, which will become payable when you retire.
Last modified 19/05/2014