Accessibility statement for www.kela.fi
This accessibility statement applies to the www.kela.fi website and to standalone applications and extranet services hosted there. The statement represents the situation as of 26 September 2020 and was last updated on 2 February 2024.
The website has been evaluated for accessibility at Kela. Segments of it have also been evaluated together with outside accessibility experts.
Other ways to contact us
The online service is partially compliant with accessibility standards (WCAG 2.1 A and AA).
Users may encounter some accessibility issues on our website. The following is a list of known issues. If you discover a problem that is not listed, please let us know.
Contents or functionalities which are not yet fully accessible:
- Not all visual content has a text equivalent describing what the image or graphic element represents. (WCAG 1.1.1)
- Headers are not ranked correctly on all pages or a header is empty. (WCAG 1.3.1 and 2.1.1)
- The descriptions essential to understanding certain tables are located outside the table. (WCAG 1.3.2)
- Some link names are not fully descriptive, and some links to images are not accompanied by a text description. (WCAG 1.1.1 ja 2.4.4)
- Not all ID attributes for elements are unique because they contain the same value. This is the case with certain accordions, for instance. (WCAG 2.1)
- The search results for student restaurants do not reflow correctly on all devices. (WCAG 1.4.10)
The calculators for student benefits are not yet accessible.
Below are the known issues with the calculators:
- The services cannot be used conveniently with a screen reader or a keyboard. (WCAG 4.1 and 2.1.1)
- The application does not scale properly for use on different devices. (WCAG 1.4.10)
- Not all icons have a text equivalent. (WCAG 1.1.1)
- When text is resized by 200%, page content is only displayed horizontally, and viewing the page requires horizontal scrolling. (WCAG 1.3.4 and 1.4.4)
- There are accessibility issues with colour and contrast for example in action buttons. (WCAG 1.4.1 and 1.4.3)
- Text spacing is too narrow. (WCAG 1.4.12)
- Some headings and text labels are missing. (WCAG 2.4.6)
- Page language cannot be determined programmatically. (WCAG 3.1.1)
- Process status is not visible to users. (WCAG 3.2.3)
- There are issues with error identification and guidance, such as that no recommendation is provided to correct an error. (WCAG 3.3.1 and 3.3.3)
- Text field descriptions are missing. (WCAG 1.3.1)
We will correct the listed issues by the end of 2024.
The below contents or functionalities will be replaced with new services that meet accessibility requirements. Making the existing services or contents accessibility compliant is not possible or would require major investment in the legacy systems. This would impose unreasonable burden on Kela.
Such content and functionalities are:
- forms in PDF format
- Kela is adopting new form creation software to enhance the forms and make them accessible. Accessible forms will be made available as they are completed. According to plan, all forms will be accessible by the end of 2025. A modernised e-service will gradually replace PDF forms as the primary customer service channel.
- customer service by chat and remote service
- The existing services will be replaced by a new, accessible service towards the end of 2024.
- rehabilitation course search and service provider search
- A new and accessible search has been launched in autumn 2021, and it will gradually replace the current separate search functions.
The following is a list of content on our website which is exempt from the statutory accessibility requirements.
Our website contains
- videos posted before 23 September 2020. These videos do not feature subtitles and/or audio description. There are videos also on Kela’s YouTube channel.
- The accessibility requirements do not apply to videos posted before 23 September 2020.
- files published before 23 September 2018.
- The accessibility requirements do not apply to files which were released before 23 September 2018 and which are not relevant to the rights and responsibilities of customers.
- archived materials such as press releases, blog posts or statistical and research data.
- The accessibility requirements do not apply to materials archived before 23 September 2019 which are not updated and are not needed for a case pending with a government authority.
- live video transmissions that do not feature subtitling and/or audio description.
- Live video does not come within the scope of the legislation.
If you notice issues with the accessibility of this website, please let us know first. We will reply within two weeks.
If you are not satisfied with our reply or if you do not receive a reply within two weeks, you can file a report with the Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland (in Finnish). The Agency website contains detailed instructions for filing a report and information on how the matter will be handled.
Contact information of the Regional State Administrative Agency
Saavutettavuuden valvonnan yksikkö
Telephone exchange: 0295 016 000
Our ongoing efforts to improve accessibility on our website
We will update this statement as we fix accessibility issues.
We are committed to improving the accessibility of our online services. The steps we are taking to ensure accessibility include the following:
- We will take accessibility requirements into account when developing our services.
- We will take special care to keep our text content easily understandable.
- We offer information on our website also in plain Finnish, plain Swedish and two sign languages.
- We are integrating accessibility considerations into our procurement processes.
- We provide accessibility training to our employees.