Contact Point for Cross-Border Health Care
Each member state of the European Union has its own Contact Point for Cross-Border Healthcare. National Contact Points for Cross Border Healthcare are responsible for communications and the exchange of information related to cross-border healthcare.
In Finland, the Contact Point is located within the Social Insurance Institution (Finnish acronym: Kela), where it has functioned since being established in 2014. The Contact Point is part of Kela´s Centre of Expertise in International Affairs.
Tasks of the Contact Point
The Contact Point for Cross-Border Healthcare compiles, produces and disseminates information
- on the use of healthcare services in Finland and abroad
- for patients from Finland seeking healthcare abroad and foreign patients seeking healthcare in Finland
- on the reimbursement of medical care costs incurred abroad
- on the European prescription.
The tasks of the contact point are regulated by the Act on Cross-Border Health Care (in Finnish).
The Contact Point primarily provides information on the health care services provided by states subject to European law. It also provides information on the healthcare services of Social Security Agreement countries and other states as well as on healthcare legislation, administrative procedures, costs and their reimbursement, and patient rights. The Ministry of Social Affairs and Health is responsible for the general planning, guidance and development of cross-border healthcare as well as funding oversight.
The Contact Point for Cross-Border Healthcare does not receive or process patient applications. The Contact Point provides general information on cross-border healthcare and the implementation of applicable laws and agreements. It also disseminates country-specific information on healthcare services and their use. Kela's Moving to or from Finland service number +358 20 634 0200 (Kela's Centre for International Affairs) advises on matters related to social security when moving to or from Finland.
Choosehealthcare.fi online service
The Contact Point for Cross-Border Healthcare maintains and develops the Choosehealthcare.fi online service, which provides information on the freedom of healthcare choice in Finland and the use of healthcare services abroad. The website provides information on patient rights, treatment costs and their reimbursement and healthcare in different countries, among other things.
The Choosehealthcare.fi website is available in Finnish, Swedish, English and Northern Sámi. Key website content is also published in Finnish and Finland-Swedish sign language. The website has an information section dedicated to healthcare employees.
Launched at the end of 2015, the online service provides reliable information, which has been produced in cooperation with the Contact Point for Cross-Border Healthcare, Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, National Institute for Health and Welfare and Social Insurance Institution (Kela).
Contact Point for Cross-Border Healthcare
Mailing address: P.O. Box 80, FI-00381 Helsinki
You can also reach the Contact Point by email at yhteyspiste(at)kela.fi
The Contact Point provides general information on cross-border healthcare. Regarding your applications for benefits, or other personal issues, please contact Kela customer service (Centre for International Affairs). For data security reasons, please do not send sensitive information, such as your social security number, by email.
- Contact Point's online service Choosehealthcare.fi is available in Finnish, Swedish, English and Sámi
- At www.kela.fi, you can read more about the Contact Point also in Finnish and Swedish
- Follow us on Twitter, SlideShare and YouTube.
- Choosehealthcare.fi online service
- Contact Point's brochure on cross-border healthcare (pdf)
- What is Choosehealthcare.fi? (brochure, pdf)
- Patients' freedom of choice abroad, presented as a picture (in Finnish)
- Patients' freedom of choice in Finland, presented as a picture (in Finnish)
- Act on Cross-Border Healthcare (in Finnish)
- Implementation of the Cross-Border Healthcare Directive (Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, in Finnish)
- Cross-Border Healthcare Directive (pdf)
- Cross-Border Care (European Commission)
- EU Social Security Coordination (European Commission)
- Cross-border healthcare survey -final report (European Commission, pfd)
- European Health Insurance Card (European Commission)
- Public Health (European Commission)
- Eurobarometer survey on patients' rights in cross-border services
Last modified 11/05/2017