Special circumstances during the 12-month reference period
In certain situations the allowance can be determined on the basis of the income for the last 3 calendar months of the reference period. This presupposes that the situation during the 12-month reference period has been one of the following:
- You have attained vocational qualifications and taken a degree.
- For example a basic vocational qualification, a further vocational qualification, or a bachelor's or master's level university degree.
- You have performed conscript or alternative civilian service.
- You have been partly or completely absent from the labour market after the period of allowances for parents because you have been home caring for a child under age 3.
- You have been partly or completely absent from the labour market after the period of allowances for parents because you have been home caring for an adopted child.
- You have been absent from work while participating in the medical care of a child under 16 years of age who is ill or disabled (home care or hospital care).
- You have moved to Finland from another country and you have not been covered for health insurance benefits in Finland while living abroad.
A further requirement is that the income for 3 months multiplied by 4 is at least 20% higher than the annual income determined on the basis of the 12-month reference period.