Interruption in online service for recruitment 6 June 01:00–08:00 More information
Loan guarantee for adult students receiving adjusted adult education allowance
If your study leave lasts less than 2 months or you study part-time, you can get an adjusted adult education allowance. Apply to the Employment Fund.
If you receive an adjusted adult education allowance, you can get a government guarantee for a student loan. Contact Kela in good time to apply for a loan guarantee for adult students. The earliest that you can get a loan guarantee is the beginning of the month preceding your application.
The adjusted adult education allowance can be applied for retroactively for 6 months. If necessary, you can apply to Kela for a loan guarantee for adult students before you have applied for an adult education allowance.
- Part-time studies in September and October
- Adult student: application for a loan guarantee for adult students must be submitted to Kela in October at the latest
- Part-time studies between 15 November and 14 December
- Adult student: application for an adjusted adult education allowance must be submitted to the Employment Fund in January at the latest
- Employment Fund: issues a decision to the adult student about the adjusted adult education allowance and notifies Kela of the allowance
- Kela: issues a decision to the adult student about the student loan government guarantee. The loan guarantee is awarded for 2 months, September and October. The period in November and December in which the student is paid adult education allowance does not qualify the student for a loan guarantee because it is a separate period lasting less than 8 weeks consecutively.
The process of getting a government loan guarantee and taking out a student loan can be handled more conveniently if you apply to the Employment Fund for the adult education allowance retroactively and for several months at a time. However, be sure to submit the application for a loan guarantee for adult students in good time.
Kela cannot decide on the loan guarantee for adult students until the Employment Fund has notified it of the adult education allowance.
If you apply for an adjusted adult education allowance month by month, Kela will not take a decision on the loan guarantee until the Employment Fund has sent details about the adult education allowance for at least two months. Based on subsequent payment periods of the adult education allowance, Kela will take a new decision on loan guarantees for these periods. You must also agree with the bank separately on how these new loans are to be disbursed to you.