A benefit-based income calculated on the basis of certain benefits that you have received during the reference period can also be included in the annual income.
The benefit-based income is a calculated income. It is calculated on the basis of the average amount of benefits that you have received during the 12 calendar month reference period. The benefits are taken into account at their before-tax value.
Definition of annual benefit-based income:
- Certain benefits that you have received during the reference period are calculated at their average daily amount.
- From the daily amount, a calculated benefit-based annual income is generated.
- The calculated benefit-based annual income is included in the annual income in proportion to the periods for which the benefits were granted.
Only the following benefits are included in the benefit-based income, if they are granted for the 12 calendar month reference period:
- unemployment benefit
- job alternation compensation
- sickness allowance
- daily allowance under the YEL Act or sickness allowance paid by the Farmers’ Social Insurance Institution (Mela)
- partial sickness allowance
- daily allowances for parents
- special care allowance
- sickness allowance on account of human cell, tissue and organ donation
- rehabilitation allowance from Kela
- rehabilitation allowance or rehabilitation increase under the Earnings-related Pensions Acts
- disability pension provided under the Earnings-related Pension Acts
- disability pension provided under the National Pensions Act
- guarantee pension as a supplement to disability pension
- adult education subsidy
- adjustment pension or adjustment allowance for Members of Parliament
- study grant.
Benefits paid to the employer are not included in the annual income. In such a case, the wage or salary that you have received for the same period is included in the annual income.
Example of annual income calculated on the basis of unemployment benefit
Pekka’s entitlement to parental allowance starts on 15 September 2022. The reference period is 1 August 2021 to 31 July 2022. During this period, Pekka received an earnings-related unemployment allowance of 60,00 euros per day for 5 days a week.
The annual income calculated on the basis of the average earnings-related allowance entitles to a parental allowance of about 52 euros. The amount of parental allowance for the first 16 days is approximately 67 euros per working day. Parental allowance is paid for working days. Weekdays are the days from Monday to Saturday. Bank holidays are not counted as weekdays.
Example of how different benefits are taken into account when calculating annual income
During the reference period for the annual income, Laura received an unemployment benefit from which her child home care allowance was deducted. When calculating Laura’s annual income, her unemployment benefit, reduced by the amount of the home care allowance, is included. The child home care allowance is not included in Laura’s annual income, as it is not a benefit that is taken into account when calculating annual income.