How to claim child benefit
Claim the child benefit online
Send the application and supporting documents online. Log in to the e-service using your online banking codes or a mobile certificate.
- Claim child benefit online. Please note that the e-service is available in Finnish and Swedish only.
- Claim the single-parent supplement online or on the same claim as the child benefit.
- You can claim the child benefit at the same time you claim daily allowances for parents. Send a separate application for both benefits.
- Supporting documents are not usually required for child benefit. If you need to provide documents, scan or take a photo of supporting documents and send them online.
- Visit our e-service to see if your application has been decided, how much you will get and when you will be paid. You can also see any possible reminders concerning, for instance, documents missing from your application. A written decision on your application will be sent to you by post.
When to claim
Child benefit is payable retroactively for no more than 6 months as of the date of the claim.
If you have claimed child benefit for a child who is about to be born, you will receive a decision on the child benefit after the child has been born. The decision will be issued within one month of the birth.
The single-parent supplement is also payable for 6 months retroactively. It is granted from the beginning of the month following the change in family circumstances.