Family benefits in international situations | Our Services | KelaSkip to content

Families with children and international situations

You may be eligible for benefits for families with children if you move to Finland or come to work in Finland. These benefits include: 
•    maternity grant
•    child benefit
•    parental allowances
•    child care allowances
•    child maintenance allowance. 

If you apply for a benefit for the first time after moving to Finland and your entitlement to benefits provided by Kela has not been determined, you should report your move to Finland in our e-service OmaKela. Please note that our e-service is only available in Finnish and Swedish. You can also complete the form Moving to Finland Y 77e (PDF) and send the completed form to Kela.

If you have applied for a benefit and your application was rejected but your circumstances change, you can apply for the benefit again. Examples of changes in circumstances include 
•    starting employment
•    having your pay raised so that it meets the minimum requirements
•    being granted a residence permit. 

In this case you should also file a notification of moving to Finland in our e-service OmaKela or submit the form Moving to Finland Y 77e (PDF) with your application.

If Kela is currently paying you a benefit and you are moving abroad or starting work abroad, your right to benefits may change. File a notification on moving abroad in our e-service OmaKela or complete and submit the form Moving from Finland or employment abroad Y 38e (PDF) to Kela. 
Read more about the right to social security and Kela benefits when moving to another country from Finland

Read more