How to claim child home care allowance
Claim the child home care allowance online
Send the application and supporting documents online. Log in to the e-service using your online banking codes or a mobile certificate.
- Use the OmaKela e-service to claim child home care allowance. If needed, you can exit the application at any time and return to it later. All data you enter is saved automatically.
- Child home care allowance can be claimed by the parent or other legal guardian who primarily looks after the child at home. If both parents are primary caregivers, they must agree between themselves who is to file the claim.
- The primary caregiver can also be someone else, such as a grandparent. The name of the caregiver must be stated separately in the application. The allowance must, however, always be claimed by a parent or by another legal guardian, even if the caregiver is another person.
- Once you have completed the claim, the summary page lists the necessary supporting documentation. Scan or take a photo of any supporting documents and send them through OmaKela
- If you claim care supplement, you must also fill in your family's gross income.
- Kela gets salary and benefit information directly from the national income register and from benefit payers. Kela uses this data when processing claims and applications. You will be contacted if additional information is required.
You will be asked to provide supporting documentation with the claim. For example, if you are self-employed, you will be asked to provide details of your income on the as well as any additional documents specified in the claim.
If you live in the Åland Islands you should claim child home care allowance from your municipality of residence.
When to claim
Child home care allowance should be claimed well before payment of the parental allowance ends. The right to child home care allowance starts right after the period of parental allowance even if you take your annual holiday. The allowance is available retrospectively for a maximum of 6 months from the date of the claim.
You can claim the allowance also for a fixed period of time. If you do not indicate any end date for payment of the child home care allowance in the claim, the allowance is granted until the youngest child reaches the age of 3 years.
If you wish to end the payment of the allowance, you can do that in OmaKela. You can also contact Kela by phone.