How to appeal a decision

If you think that the decision you received from Kela on your application is wrong, you can appeal to have it changed.


If you are dissatisfied with a decision you receive from Kela about basic social assistance, you can appeal it by following these instructions.

How to appeal a decision issued to you

  • File an appeal using the OmaKela e-service.
  • You can also use a dedicated form Letter of Appeal (PDF) to file the appeal.
  • If you choose not to use the form or the OmaKela e-service, provide the following information in your appeal:
    • your name, personal identity code, phone number and address at which you wish to receive letters and decision notices concerning the appeal
    • the decision you are appealing
    • how you want the decision to be changed
    • why you want the decision to be changed
  • If someone else manages your Kela-related affairs on your behalf, they must have an authorisation from you. Learn more about acting on behalf of another person.

Where should the appeal be handed in?

Depending on the subject of the appeal, an appeal filed in the OmaKela e-service is directed either to Kela or to the relevant workplace sickness fund.

If you are submitting the appeal on a form or in your own words, and the decision was issued by Kela, mail the appeal to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA. If the decision was issued by some other organisation (for example a workplace sickness fund), you should appeal to the issuer of the decision.

You have 37 days from the date of mailing of the decision to turn in your appeal. The date of mailing is shown on the decision. Kela presumes that you have been notified of the decision on the seventh day after the mailing date on the decision.

Appeal Boards and the Insurance Court

If Kela considers that it cannot amend the decision in the way you want, it will forward your appeal to the relevant Appeal Board. There are two of them, and each handles matters concerning specific benefits.

If your appeal concerns some other benefit than social assistance or student financial aid,  it will be handled by the Social Security Appeal Board.

The Student Financial Aid Appeal Board will handle your appeal if it concerns one of the following benefits:

  • interest assistance
  • school transport subsidy
  • financial aid for students

You have a further right of appeal to the Insurance Court, which is the highest court of appeal. Both will provide you with a written decision on your appeal.

Appeals to the Appeal Board are processed free of charge. The Insurance Court usually does not charge private appellants a court fee. More information (in Finnish) can be found on the Insurance Court website.

Contact information of the appeal bodies

Social Security Appeal Board
Pasilan virastokeskus, Ratapihantie 7, 00520 Helsinki
PL 39, 00521 Helsinki
Tel. 0295 163 800 (9–15 Monday to Friday), 0295 163 801 (exchange)

Student Financial Aid Review Board Toinen linja 17, 4th floor PO Box 386, FI-00531 Helsinki Tel. 0295 333 000, (09) 160 01

Insurance Court Ratapihantie 9 PO Box 1005, FI-00521 Helsinki Tel. 029 564 3200