Adaptation training course for adolescents with Type 1 diabetes
The adaptation training course for persons with Type 1 diabetes is suitable for you, if
- you have been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes
- you are in lower secondary school or you have completed comprehensive school and you are under 20
- you have received information about your illness from a healthcare provider and been referred to treatment, but you need additional, multidisciplinary support and guidance
- you are interested in participating in face-to-face and online rehabilitation.
Rehabilitation is arranged for the following target groups:
- adolescents in lower secondary school
- adolescents under 20 who have completed comprehensive school.
Use the course search to look up when courses are arranged
Use the search term ‘diabetes’. Please note, the service is in Finnish and Swedish only.
Purpose of the course
The aim of the course is to provide support and guidance and to help you cope in everyday life. The course aims to increase your resources and skills so that you will be able to participate in activities in your own living environment.
Content of the course and implementation
The rehabilitation is implemented as group rehabilitation taking each client’s individual goal and need for rehabilitation into consideration.
The course includes group discussions and working in small groups, a variety of activities as well as interviews, meetings and discussions with rehabilitation experts.
The rehabilitation is partly arranged on the service provider’s premises and partly in the form of telerehabilitation. If necessary, the service provider will lend you the device needed for you to be able to participate in telerehabilitation.
The rehabilitation is arranged on the service provider’s premises and it lasts 3 days. You can stay overnight at the place of the rehabilitation or travel there from home each day.
The telerehabilitation part of the course is implemented over a period of 4 weeks:
- as real-time videoconferencing in which a close relative of yours may participate
- as online rehabilitation at a time suitable to you
- as a day of telecommunication which includes videoconferencing and online rehabilitation. If you have turned 16, you can apply for rehabilitation allowance also for the day of telecommunication.
The service provider contacts you before and after the rehabilitation.
The course is implemented by the following experts:
- specialist in internal medicine or endocrinology or other specialist with special competence in diabetes treatment
- diabetes nurse
- nutritional therapist
Depending on your individual needs, other rehabilitation professionals and assisting personnel may also take part.