Couple’s course for adults with cancer of the alimentary tract
The couple’s course is suitable for you, if
- you are over 18 and you have been diagnosed with cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, stomach or in the area of the intestinal tract
- the initial stage of the treatment period has nearly come to an end, the treatment has finished or the follow-up of the treatment is under way.
Use the course search to look up when courses are arranged
Use the search term ”syöpä”. Please note, the service is in Finnish and Swedish only.
The date and time of the course is set on the basis of your individual situation.
Purpose of the course
The aim of the course is to provide support in the changed situation caused by the disease. You will also receive information and guidance to help you to continue living a life that is as full and meaningful as possible despite your illness. Rehabilitation is also a way of strengthening your resources and life management skills in order for you to be able to function as independently and actively as possible in your everyday life.
Content of the course and implementation
The rehabilitation is implemented as group rehabilitation taking each client’s individual goal and need for rehabilitation into consideration.
The course includes group discussions and working in small groups, a variety of activities as well as individual interviews, meetings and discussions with rehabilitation experts.
The rehabilitation is arranged on the service provider’s premises. The course lasts 5 days. Your spouse or partner can accompany you throughout the rehabilitation. You can stay overnight at the place of the rehabilitation or travel there from home each day.
The service provider contacts you before and after the rehabilitation.
The course is implemented by the following experts:
- specialist in oncology or specialist in surgery well versed in surgical treatment of the alimentary tract
- registered nurse or public health nurse
- nutritional therapist or nutritional advisor.
Depending on your individual needs, other rehabilitation professionals may also take part.