Adaptation training course for adults with peripheral nerve disease or myopathy
The adaptation training course is suitable for you, if
- you are over 18
- you have been diagnosed with a peripheral nerve disease or myopathy, myopathy, spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) or myastenia gravis.
- you are able to function independently enough to be able to participate in group-based rehabilitation and to move around the service provider’s premises without constant assistance.
- adaptation training is useful for you and your need for it has been assessed by a healthcare provider
Use the course search to look up when courses are arranged
Use the search term “ääreishermo” or “lihassairaus”. Please note, the service is in Finnish and Swedish only.
The course is not suitable for you, if the goals of your rehabilitation are more related to medical care and treatment than to rehabilitation per se.
Rehabilitation is arranged for the following target groups:
- persons suffering from myopathy
- persons suffering from peripheral nerve disease
- persons suffering from myastenia gravis (MG).
Purpose of the course
The aim of the course is to provide support in the changed situation caused by the illness. You will also receive information and guidance to help you to continue living a life that is as full and meaningful as possible despite your illness. Rehabilitation is also a way of strengthening your resources and life management skills in order for you to be able to function as independently and actively as possible in your everyday life.
Content of the course and implementation
The rehabilitation is implemented as group rehabilitation taking each client’s individual goal and need for rehabilitation into consideration.
The course includes group discussions and working in small groups, a variety of activities as well as individual interviews, meetings and discussions with rehabilitation experts.
The rehabilitation is arranged on the service provider’s premises. Each course lasts 10 days and it is implemented in 2 periods. You can stay overnight at the place of the rehabilitation or travel there from home each day. An adult close relative can participate in the rehabilitation together with you during 3 days at the end of the course.
The service provider contacts you before and after the rehabilitation.
The course is implemented by the following experts:
- specialist in neurology
- registered nurse
- social worker, Bachelor of Social Sciences, rehabilitation instructor or Master of Social Sciences (major subject rehabilitation science).
Depending on your individual needs, other rehabilitation professionals and assisting personnel may also take part.