Child care allowances

When the payment of parental allowance ends, the child is approximately 9 months old. There are many ways of arranging day care for the child after the period of parental allowance. The child can be in municipal or private day care or the child can be looked after at home.

Child care benefits paid by Kela are

You can be granted child home care allowance or private day care allowance if the child is not in municipal day care. Flexible or partial care allowance can be granted if your working hours are 30 hours per week, maximum, and the other entitlement criteria for the benefit are met.

Child care allowances are not paid for periods shorter than one month. The allowance period does not have to start from the beginning of the month. The minimum allowance period includes the periods of child care allowances of both parents.

The one-month minimum requirement is also met when the child home care allowance continues after the period of paternity allowance so that the periods of child home care allowance last for at least one month in total.

Child care leave for working parents

The right to child care leave is based on the Employment Contracts Act. Care leave is granted by the employer. You must therefore enter into an agreement on this with your employer before you can take the leave. You must notify your employer at least 2 months before you plan to take the leave.

The care leave can be taken in one or two periods (for each child). The leave period must be at least one month at a time. It is possible to take the care leave in several periods if your employer agrees with this. Kela will pay child care allowance to the family for any number of periods as long as the minimum duration of each period is one month.

Both parents cannot take the care leave at the same time, but you can divide part-time child care leave between the parents.

Information about care leave is also available in the collective agreement, and in problem situations you can discuss, e.g. with your trade union about the leave.

Read more